Anvil Game Studios

Author Topic: Siege Focused Update  (Read 444 times)

Online Saga

• Regiment Leaders
  • Commander
  • Bite my shiny metal ass.
    • 4th Regiment of Foot
  • Faction: British Empire
  • Nick: Henry Evans
Siege Focused Update
« on: February 23, 2018, 11:30:41 pm »
The following suggestions are meant to enhance the siege mode in a way that improves it for both casual and competitive play.
I believe if done right the siege mode could (and should) become the most popular public gamemode.

Feel free to discuss bellow.

I would like to suggest the following changes to the existing mode.
  • Individual respawn limit for defenders based on player IP.
  • The replacement of the current siege maps entirely. (Edit: +Modify Fort Christina to have more space for defenders.)

1) The individual respawn limit will deter defending players from wasting a pool of lives and will prevent griefers. This has been brought up many times on the forums.
2) The current maps do not play out well, they feel too much like the regular battlefield mode. More details bellow.

Additions to the Siege mode
  • Create a minimum of three new maps with a single capture point located in the middle of a historically inspired fort. This will make the objective clear. The forts should be larger than Fort Christina to reduce the number of deaths from artillery, and allow variations in attacks. The ability for map makers to place multiple capture points should be kept for the future. But the mode first needs some solid maps.
  • Have a 1 min staging period before attackers can leave spawn, this will encourage them to coordinate an attack and allow the defenders to set up.
  • The walls should be destructable and the Forts entrances should be sealed off if a door/gate mechanic is not yet implemented.
  • Multiple layers of defence should be implemented in the design allowing defenders to coordinate who goes where based on their remaining lives, or whatever strategy they come up with.

Why Siege?
  • The siege game-mode guarantees some kind of cooperation between players, at least on the defending side. By confining those players to a defensive position with VOIP many are bound to start interacting, this could then impact the rest of the game if that mentality takes off.
  • It could be implemented before a mobile artillery update since the cannons can be stationary for the purpose of breaking down the walls or shooting at attacking / defending players.
  • An effective siege mode will be refreshing for the competitive community, and will hopefully retain more players in the game.

Perhaps an update for Siege can be combined with the Prussians? That way the hype for the Prussians will bring in more players, then retain them through a newly updated game-mode?
« Last Edit: February 24, 2018, 07:53:10 am by Saga »

Offline Absol

• Master's Mate
  • Nick: 61e Absol
Re: Siege Focused Update
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2018, 12:52:02 am »
The current siege maps don't really feel siegey enough. I'd like to see bigger maps with multiple layers of defense as well.

Offline Brigadier_General

• Petty Officer
  • "Conquer or be conquered"
  • Faction: Neutral
  • Nick: Thegn
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2018, 02:53:34 am »
I agree with everything on this post! +1
Although, I do like the Fort Christina map. The fort itself does need to be bigger, and few more guns on it wouldn't go amiss.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2018, 02:56:50 am by Brigadier_General »

Online Saga

• Regiment Leaders
  • Commander
  • Bite my shiny metal ass.
    • 4th Regiment of Foot
  • Nick: Henry Evans
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2018, 03:42:16 am »
I agree with everything on this post! +1
Although, I do like the Fort Christina map. The fort itself does need to be bigger, and few more guns on it wouldn't go amiss.
Maybe some earthworks around the Fort to give defenders some more space

Offline Saris

• Master's Mate
  • Texas Poppin B
  • Faction: French Empire
  • Nick: Saris
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2018, 04:50:53 am »
I understand that Holdfast is still in Early Access but I keep going back to Napoleonic Wars siege servers because they are just so enjoyable and different with each session. I hope to see that here too. +1

In time I want to see more detailed siege maps. Forts, fortified coastal forts, towns, anything that might be fun to attack or defend. *cough* Alamo *cough*

• Petty Officer
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2018, 04:59:43 am »
I understand that Holdfast is still in Early Access but I keep going back to Napoleonic Wars siege servers because they are just so enjoyable and different with each session. I hope to see that here too. +1

In time I want to see more detailed siege maps. Forts, fortified coastal forts, towns, anything that might be fun to attack or defend. *cough* Alamo *cough*
Yes, if there is one thing I love about NW, it is the sieges. And yeah, when the map making tools are released for Holdfast, someone's gotta make an Alamo map.

• Petty Officer
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2018, 09:21:59 pm »
This would also encourage people to play sieges more often. At present, the siege servers are empty.

Offline Jean-Baptiste

• Regiment Leaders
  • Chaplain
  • 89e COL | AGS/HCL Admin
  • Faction: French Empire
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2018, 08:29:17 pm »
+1  ;)