The following suggestions are meant to enhance the siege mode in a way that improves it for both casual and competitive play.
I believe if done right the siege mode could (and should) become the most popular public gamemode.
Feel free to discuss bellow.
I would like to suggest the following changes
to the existing mode.
- Individual respawn limit for defenders based on player IP.
- The replacement of the current siege maps entirely. (Edit: +Modify Fort Christina to have more space for defenders.)
1) The individual respawn limit will deter defending players from wasting a pool of lives and will prevent griefers. This has been brought up many times on the forums.
2) The current maps do not play out well, they feel too much like the regular battlefield mode. More details bellow.Additions
to the Siege mode
- Create a minimum of three new maps with a single capture point located in the middle of a historically inspired fort. This will make the objective clear. The forts should be larger than Fort Christina to reduce the number of deaths from artillery, and allow variations in attacks. The ability for map makers to place multiple capture points should be kept for the future. But the mode first needs some solid maps.
- Have a 1 min staging period before attackers can leave spawn, this will encourage them to coordinate an attack and allow the defenders to set up.
- The walls should be destructable and the Forts entrances should be sealed off if a door/gate mechanic is not yet implemented.
- Multiple layers of defence should be implemented in the design allowing defenders to coordinate who goes where based on their remaining lives, or whatever strategy they come up with.
Perhaps an update for Siege can be combined with the Prussians? That way the hype for the Prussians will bring in more players, then retain them through a newly updated game-mode?
- The siege game-mode guarantees some kind of cooperation between players, at least on the defending side. By confining those players to a defensive position with VOIP many are bound to start interacting, this could then impact the rest of the game if that mentality takes off.
- It could be implemented before a mobile artillery update since the cannons can be stationary for the purpose of breaking down the walls or shooting at attacking / defending players.
- An effective siege mode will be refreshing for the competitive community, and will hopefully retain more players in the game.