Anvil Game Studios

Author Topic: Musket accuracy  (Read 119 times)

Offline Parda

• Landsman
Musket accuracy
« on: August 17, 2018, 02:24:29 am »
Hi,

Having spent the better part of a day playing this promising game I couldn't help but notice and be a tad frustrated by how unrealistically inaccurate the muskets are ingame.

Now I know that the smoothbore flintlock muskets of the day by no means were "accurate", but they were nonetheless expected to somewhat consistantly (2 out of 3 times) hit a man sized target out to ~75 meters distance. Ingame however the dispersion is so great that from even less than 30 meters away you often miss your target despite aiming at him centermass, and this is a rather "gamey" exaggeration of real life musketry IMHO.

Ironically it seems as though the rifled muskets ingame are about as accurate as real life smoothbores are expected to be, albeit ballistically speaking they are still quite odd in terms of the excessive bullet drop.

To give you guys at development an idea of what type of accuracy these smoothbore muskets usually exhibit, here is a very educational couple of experiments:
https://youtu.be/LDzYshFmlXY?t=152
« Last Edit: August 17, 2018, 03:25:07 am by Parda »

Offline Wolfster

• Regiment Leaders
  • Master's Mate
  • 44th Maj Edwin Parker
  • Faction: British Empire
Re: Musket accuracy
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2018, 01:43:24 pm »
Realistically, if the weapons were to be inaccurate like they're meant to be, I don't think you would have much fun playing the game

Full-Time Lettings Negotiator.

Online Starblazer

• Master's Mate
  • Admin for the HCL. JOIN THE 63e!
    • 63e Regiment
  • Faction: French Empire
  • Nick: 63e_Sgt_Star
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2018, 04:47:35 pm »
Man and here I am getting rekt in the public server thinking the muskets are TOO accurate sometimes
Not in a regiment? Join ours today at https://63eregiment.enjin.com/enlistment

We have over 6 years (Yes, 6 years of linebattles/events/tournaments/trainings on a daily basis) of experience!  We have both NA and EU communities, we play Holdfast, NW as well as various other games. We attend and host linebattles, siege events, naval events, and trainings! Enlist today!

Offline Wolfster

• Regiment Leaders
  • Master's Mate
  • 44th Maj Edwin Parker
  • Faction: British Empire
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2018, 08:22:30 pm »
Man and here I am getting rekt in the public server thinking the muskets are TOO accurate sometimes
I might have to agree

Full-Time Lettings Negotiator.