Anvil Game Studios

Poll

Would you rather have the game be historically accurate or just a competitive FPS game?

Historically Accurate
17 (68%)
Competitive FPS
8 (32%)

Total Members Voted: 25

Author Topic: Historically Accurate or Competitive?  (Read 356 times)

Offline Brigadier_General

• Petty Officer
  • "Conquer or be conquered"
  • Faction: Neutral
  • Nick: Thegn
Historically Accurate or Competitive?
« on: August 19, 2018, 10:38:41 pm »
At the moment, the game feels like another competitive FPS game with a hint of Napoleonic flavor. Does everyone like this feel, or do you want to see more historical accuracy? I, for one, will always be an advocate for accuracy. I am aware that full historical accuracy might not be possible, as it can get pretty tedious, and the developers are a currently working with limitations. However, if this game does want to properly represent the era it portrays, some changes do need to be made.

Offline Intel Guardian

• Chaplain
  • Warum bin ich ein anime m├Ądchen?
    • My Twitter
  • Faction: British Empire
  • Nick: Intel
Re: Historically Accurate or Competitive?
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2018, 11:36:48 pm »
The games too far down the path of becoming an NW clone for it to be realistic. I guess that a realistic Napoleonic shooter would be boring anyway. Pretty much all suggestions put forward to implement authentic formations would make the game more boring. It wouldn't really make much sense anyway since at the moment the most players you can have is 150. If the game was a part of the singleplayer RPG or adventure genre, I would hope for more realism, since it wouldn't detract much from gameplay, but since it's an online shooter that tries to simulate large-scale Napoleonic tactics with less than a few hundred players, so I don't think realism is possible.

I don't think I've expressed myself as eloquently as would hope to, but oh well.

Online Absol

• Master's Mate
  • Faction: British Empire
  • Nick: 61e Absol
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2018, 06:46:27 pm »
I think we can have "historically accurate" while having the game be competitive. In its current state (having 200 players and whatnot) it's hard to be "historically accurate" but I think in terms of uniforms and factions and things like that the devs will do their best to make it accurate. Whether by "historically accurate" you mean "realistic" I don't know, but realism is difficult to do with only ~100 players per side.

As with Intel, I probably phrased this poorly.
tl;dr I guess: historical accuracy =/= realism but with the game as it is on the course it's going we can have both historical accuracy and competitiveness.

Offline Sourkraut

• Master's Mate
  • CSgt. l 21st Co.A
  • Faction: Neutral
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2018, 04:01:38 am »
I'd prefer a game that is competitive and that makes concessions where appropriate while still remaining fun to play.

Ideally Holdfast would be something in between the accessibility of NW and the realism of WOR. Not too realistic to where it's overbearing or dull to play, but also somewhat rooted in the era it's portraying.