Anvil Game Studios

Author Topic: Duke's class suggestion thread - Russia edition  (Read 484 times)

Offline Duke_Countu

• Master's Mate
  • Faction: British Empire
Duke's class suggestion thread - Russia edition
« on: September 22, 2018, 02:52:17 pm »
I, Duke Countu, have decided to write-up this thread of my suggestions of Russian classes, given that I'm sure they would win the next poll:

Russian Officer, great coat and forage cap, should also have a Gorget around his neck:

Spoiler
[close]

Russian Line Infantry, musketeer of the Volhynie Regiment. I chose it because they use the famous green flag:

Spoiler
[close]

Russian Line Infantry 2, St. Petersburg Opolechnie:

Spoiler
[close]

New Russian-exclusive melee-only class, Spearman, based on Moscow Opolechnie, uses one-handed axe and spear, no firearm.

Spoiler
[close]

Russian Light Infantry, 14th Jager Regiment:

Spoiler
[close]

Russian Rifleman, this guy (don't know regiment lol):

Spoiler
[close]

Two possibilities for Russian flag-barer, one would be an alternative Officer model:

Spoiler
[close]

The other would be an NCO of the Volhynie Regiment: (ignore the purple flag, just imagine it's green)

Spoiler
[close]

Russian Musicians:

Spoiler
[close]

Russian Carpenter, either a Pioneer:

Spoiler
[close]

Or a peasant:

Spoiler
[close]

Russian surgeon:

Spoiler
[close]

Russian Guard, Pavloski Guard Grenadier:

Spoiler
[close]

Russian Guard 2, I'm convinced Anvil is going to add a second Guard class to make room for the Old Guard, in that case we could use the preobrazhensky Regiment:

Spoiler
[close]

Russian Grenadier, St Petersburg Grenadier. You could do several things to further distinguish this model from line infantry, like change the color of the great coat around his chest, or remove it altogether:

Spoiler
[close]

Russian Artillery, we know this class is coming, might as well add:

Spoiler
[close]

Russian Coast Guard, Interior Guard:

Spoiler
[close]

Tell me what you think of my suggestions! :D

I might make other threads of my suggestions for other factions.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2018, 05:15:53 pm by Duke_Countu »

Offline Haybales

• Regiment Leaders
  • Master
  • Official Server Administrator
    • 1st KRRC
  • Nick: Bailey
Re: Duke's class suggestion thread - Russia edition
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2018, 05:15:01 pm »
I actually love them all.

The Officer looks incredible; and as someone who isn't hugely into the history and rather "does this look good for a video game?" - Hell yes to all of the above.

Offline Duke_Countu

• Master's Mate
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2018, 07:38:36 pm »
Thanks, lol, thinking of doing one for the Austrians too.

Offline Norwegian

• Regiment Leaders
  • Midshipman
  • Colonel du 85e Régiment d'Infanterie de Ligne
  • Faction: French Empire
  • Nick: [85e] Norwegian
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2018, 08:42:07 pm »
Good suggestions, I just want to comment a bit about your guard suggestion. I think that the Pavlovskiy Grenadierskiy Polk should be used as the grenadier class instead of a guard unit. The regiment didn't become a guard regiment before 1813, and they fit better as grenadiers imo.

I think that they should use the Preobrazhenskiy Leib-Gvardii Polk as the guard.

Here's a picture of the Pavlov grenadiers as they were from 1805-1811.
Spoiler
[close]

Offline Duke_Countu

• Master's Mate
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2018, 09:34:35 pm »
Good suggestions, I just want to comment a bit about your guard suggestion. I think that the Pavlovskiy Grenadierskiy Polk should be used as the grenadier class instead of a guard unit. The regiment didn't become a guard regiment before 1813, and they fit better as grenadiers imo.

I think that they should use the Preobrazhenskiy Leib-Gvardii Polk as the guard.

Here's a picture of the Pavlov grenadiers as they were from 1805-1811.
Spoiler
[close]

That is true, though I am mostly basing these off a post-1812 army. Also Choosing Pavloski for the Guard kind of fits in with the pattern Anvil has been using of having a visually distinctive regiment for the Guard class.

Offline Norwegian

• Regiment Leaders
  • Midshipman
  • Colonel du 85e Régiment d'Infanterie de Ligne
  • Faction: French Empire
  • Nick: [85e] Norwegian
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2018, 10:25:51 pm »
I would argue that the Preobrazhensky lifeguards are quite visually distinctive from the regular Russian line infantry.

Offline Irregular Alcoholic

• Chaplain
  • Bamboleo!!!!Bamboleo!
  • Faction: Neutral
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2018, 10:40:55 pm »
Duke_Countu , you forgot russian SPECNAZ unit - "imperial Babushkas" or "irregular Babushkas" but its same

Spoiler
[close]

Offline Bluehawk

• Global Moderator
  • Midshipman
  • Что делать? Стоять и умирать!
  • Faction: Prussia
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2018, 11:22:57 pm »
A few notes:

Officers only wore the gorget with the full dress coat (мундир) but not with the undress frock (сюртук) or greatcoat (шинель).
There were several other regiments with green cross banners: Mogilev, Kostroma, Yakutsk, Nyslott, Okhotsk, Pernau and Simbirsk (green with red corners).
Your suggestion for the rifleman is just another Jäger, albeit an NCO from a grenadier platoon.
The Preobrazhenskiy Regiment didn't wear lapels before 1817. You've accidentally shown an illustration of the Guard's Lithuanian Regiment.

If we get naval classes for a Russian faction, besides the obvious sailor, officer and marine classes, I would recommend the coastal fortress or coast guard class be represented by the Interior Guard, which absorbed the garrison units after 1811. They wore gray coats with yellow collars and cuffs and had black and orange cockades on their shakos instead of the brass grenades of the regular field infantry. I think the Riga or Cherson battalions would be logical candidates.
Spoiler
[close]

Offline Sourkraut

• Surgeon's Mate
  • CSgt. l 21st Co.A
« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2018, 03:20:14 am »
I think these would fit better as the Rifleman.

Rifle Regiment No. 30 17th Division, 1812 with the saddleback kiver
Spoiler
[close]

Or Guard Jaegers [Finnish]

Spoiler
[close]

And Bluehawk is correct, the officers wouldn't wear the gorget with the undress uniform

Russian officers look distinct enough with the shako, gorget, lack of shoulder belts, and sash. Realistically, they should either wear the mundir or sertuk (frock coat, similar to the Prussian Uberrock [ grey field coat, except the Russian one would be green]).

Mundir
Spoiler
[close]

Sertuk
Spoiler
[close]

Seeing as the Guards recieved the saddleback shako first, they should wear the 1812 kiver (arrived in 1813) and the rest of the classes should wear the 1808 kiver with the 1809 regulation accouterments for the appropriate units.

1808 Shako (Line infantry)

Spoiler
[close]

Diagram

Spoiler
[close]

The 1808 overlaps with the use of the 1812 kiver and was far more common.

Additional St. Petersburg Opelchenie plate, contemporary to the era

Spoiler
[close]

Finally this should be the guideline for what the Light infantry should look like.

Spoiler
[close]

Spoiler
[close]

Additionally, the Pavlovskiy Grenadierskiy Polk should be the Grenadier class, since all the guards in-game are technically Grenadiers anyway, and I think the Preobrazhensky Regiment should be the Guard class.

Additional Notes:

Here's those internal guard servicemen (Winter Uniform)

As for the flag bearer, it should be a high ranking NCO, similar to what AGS did with the Prussian Flag bearer, or a Junior Field Officer (as the case with the British and French Flag Bearer in-game)
« Last Edit: September 23, 2018, 04:29:07 am by Sourkraut »

Offline Bluehawk

• Global Moderator
  • Midshipman
  • Что делать? Стоять и умирать!
  • Faction: Prussia
« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2018, 04:14:32 am »
The "rifle regiment" you have posted is just the 30th Jäger Regiment, so you are suggesting that the light and rifle classes look the same with perhaps only the shoulder strap and pouch number to set them apart. If Anvil really wants a rifle unit that isn't a generic Jäger regiment, they could go with the Riga volunteers, or the Black Sea Greeks, or even Catherine Pavlovna's marksman battalion. Several militia units also had old rifled muskets and carbines in their complements. Or they could pull the Albanian-Greek Light Infantry Legion of Corfu (disbanded in 1807) into the future through a wormhole and use them too.

Russian colour-bearers were always NCOs and typically nobles serving in the ranks for 3 years before promotion to the officer corps, holding the rank of podpraporshchik (подпрапорщик) or portupey-praporshchik (портупей-прапорщик), but rarely the position could be awarded to a commoner. This was copied from the Prussian "Gefeit-Corporal" system by Paul I  in 1796 and continued throughout Alexander I's reign. If an ensign is carrying the colours, something terrible has happened to the centre of the battalion line.

I should also add while I remember it that the fifer must be a grenadier, since the musketeer and fusilier companies had none. There were only 8 per regiment before 1810, and then 6 per regiment after the reorganization (since the number of grenadier companies went from 4 to 3 and each had 2).
« Last Edit: September 23, 2018, 07:32:18 am by Bluehawk »

Offline Sourkraut

• Surgeon's Mate
  • CSgt. l 21st Co.A
« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2018, 04:23:52 am »
And the Shako, Bluehawk.

Perhaps the pants could be white for the lights as well and yes I'm aware that's a Jaeger, it's just a more realistic suggestion.

The ensign suggestion is only for distinction, not realism, although concessions already have been made in regards to certain faction's units by AGS anyway, as I'm sure your aware of.
I think they should be NCO's but of course AGS may not do that.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2018, 04:26:08 am by Sourkraut »

Offline Duke_Countu

• Master's Mate
« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2018, 12:40:54 pm »
I should mention that I'm only basing these suggestions 70-80% on what is historically accurate and the other 20-30% on what looks good.

That's why I have given them all 1812 saddle-back shakos, used a peasant as a potential Carpenter class and Pavloski as the Guard class, as well as the melee only spearman class just to get the Moscow Opolechnie.

I do agree with a number of your suggestions, Sourkraut, especially the Rifleman and the Coast Guard.

Offline Sourkraut

• Surgeon's Mate
  • CSgt. l 21st Co.A
« Reply #12 on: September 26, 2018, 08:02:49 am »
What the Foot Artillery should look like.

Spoiler
[close]

But with the 1808 Shako with cords
« Last Edit: September 27, 2018, 02:39:31 am by Jackson »

Offline Duke_Countu

• Master's Mate
« Reply #13 on: September 26, 2018, 12:49:04 pm »
What the Foot Artillery should look like.

Spoiler
[close]

But with the 1808 Shako with cords

Good suggestion, added to the list.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2018, 02:39:38 am by Jackson »

Offline Duke_Countu

• Master's Mate
« Reply #14 on: September 27, 2018, 02:02:00 pm »
Added the Interior Guard suggestion as the Russian coast guard, would like to find some good naval classes.