Anvil Game Studios

Author Topic: Melee suggestions/idea's, come share them here!  (Read 15325 times)

Offline BillTheButcher

• Able Seaman
  • ♛ The King Of NW
  • Faction: Neutral
Re: Melee suggestions/idea's, come share them here!
« Reply #60 on: September 18, 2017, 07:08:16 pm »
Why a complex system of melee in the game about the era of overwhelming superiority of firearms?
The soldiers of that time did not even teach methods with bayonets and sabers. Hardly they knew how to parry blows. Although they did not need it, because with bayonets and sabers they were finishing off the runaway and wounded.

I think the developers make the mistake of making melee the main element of the battles.
There's enough shooting games out there...melees the fun part we need more good melee games

Offline Tiberias

• Surgeon's Mate
  • Yo
  • Faction: French Empire
« Reply #61 on: September 18, 2017, 07:14:00 pm »
Hey guys, there's a few melee improvements you haven't yet seen in the current build. I can tell you though that melee is a top priority for the developers, and they're working pretty closely with myself and some other members of the competitive community, melee has come a long way but it truly takes a lot of time and effort to build a really great melee system. As someone who played NW for 5+ years because of the melee its very important to me too, but I am confident it will be at a level people are satisfied with, just give it some time.

Why a complex system of melee in the game about the era of overwhelming superiority of firearms?
The soldiers of that time did not even teach methods with bayonets and sabers. Hardly they knew how to parry blows. Although they did not need it, because with bayonets and sabers they were finishing off the runaway and wounded.

I think the developers make the mistake of making melee the main element of the battles.

Offline Andee

• Surgeon's Mate
  • Nick: 16e Andee
« Reply #62 on: September 18, 2017, 09:03:05 pm »

There's enough shooting games out there...melees the fun part we need more good melee games

68.8% wounded by small arms
13.4% wounded by artillery
14.7% wounded by swords
2.4% wounded by bayonets
(Corvisier, 1964, 65)

Go play native or something.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2017, 09:06:54 pm by Andee »

Offline SK

• Master's Mate
  • SK, 92nd Edward MacKay
« Reply #63 on: September 18, 2017, 09:04:39 pm »

But only 1% of deaths during the era were by the bayonet.
don't take the bait guys

Offline TooL69

• Surgeon's Mate
« Reply #64 on: September 18, 2017, 11:16:45 pm »

14.7% wounded by swords
2.4% wounded by bayonets
(Corvisier, 1964, 65)

Tselorungo worked with personal documents of soldiers and officers of the Russian army who participated in military companies until 1814:

Spoiler
[close]
http://www.museum.ru/museum/1812/Library/Borodino_conf/2006/Celorungo.pdf

He also notes that the wounds of cold steel were very weak. Some soldiers and officers had up to 12 wounds with cold weapons, but returned to service after the treatment.

And there are data on the rewards received by Russian soldiers in the Battle of Borodino:
Spoiler
[close]
http://www.museum.ru/museum/1812/Library/Borodino_conf/2007/Celorungo.pdf

This is the most detailed and accurate data that I have come across regarding the injuries of the warriors of that era.

Offline BillTheButcher

• Able Seaman
  • ♛ The King Of NW
« Reply #65 on: September 19, 2017, 12:40:15 am »

14.7% wounded by swords
2.4% wounded by bayonets
(Corvisier, 1964, 65)

Its a video game who cares if its historically accurate or not...Melee in is fun...
« Last Edit: September 19, 2017, 01:16:24 am by Bluehawk »

Offline 17e l Pieter

• Ordinary Seaman
  • 17e_Col_Augusting_Friant
« Reply #66 on: September 19, 2017, 01:53:16 am »

14.7% wounded by swords
2.4% wounded by bayonets
(Corvisier, 1964, 65)

there you go found the game for you Garry's mod Napoleonic era no bayonets only shooting, ENJOY.

also did you know:

100% fucks given about melee
0% fucks if its historically accurate

STATS DONT LIE!!!!

Offline VetroG

• Lieutenant
  • Nick: VetroG
« Reply #67 on: September 19, 2017, 02:04:07 am »

14.7% wounded by swords
2.4% wounded by bayonets
(Corvisier, 1964, 65)

there you go found the game for you Garry's mod Napoleonic era no bayonets only shooting, ENJOY.

also did you know:

100% fucks given about melee
0% fucks if its historically accurate

STATS DONT LIE!!!!
That's a 200 man battle!!  :o :o

Offline Hughes

• Surgeon's Mate
« Reply #68 on: September 19, 2017, 02:37:07 am »
Stats don't exist as regard to melee vs gunshots -- "Morning states" counted: Present/Wounded/Killed/Missing.
The French army only returned names of officers Wounded/Killed/Missing to Paris.

Lies, damn lies and statistic.  --Disraeli

Offline Bluehawk

• Global Moderator
  • Midshipman
  • Что делать? Стоять и умирать!
  • Faction: Prussia
« Reply #69 on: September 19, 2017, 03:35:52 am »
Langeron noted in his memoirs that most charges did not result in a melee, as the defender either gave up their ground under the pressure of the attack, or they stood their ground and the attacker gave up the charge - both scenarios typically ended in people being shot in the back.

Battlegrounds 1 and 2 had a terrible melee system of a single point hitscan attack with a cool-down, even for swords, and players still wound up stabbing each other in a big circle-strafing dance party after a volley or two. I don't think there's anything Anvil Studios can do mechanically to change a community that values melee skill above most else and will judge the quality of the game on it.

Offline Refleax

• Anvil Game Studios
  • Purser
  • May good health be yours!
    • Holdfast: NaW
  • Nick: Refleax
« Reply #70 on: September 19, 2017, 07:25:29 am »
Good melee mechanics are great fun and we really enjoy working on them! Andreas (the programmer) is working towards improving this key system and will continue to do so during Early Access. As it stands, the melee system is being given the highest priority.

More players from the competitive scene have also graciously accepted our invitation to the game so we can work with them on designing the melee combat. We are also considering opening a separate branch from the main game where we can push quick updates towards this system.

Facebook     |        Twitter     |        Community Discord

Offline Charles Caldwell

• Regiment Leaders
  • Master's Mate
  • Retired Founder of the SLRN [Naval Action]
  • Faction: British Empire
  • Nick: [1st L KGL]
« Reply #71 on: September 19, 2017, 10:17:35 am »
Melee in this period was and should be a very small element of the game and should not dominate the battlefield... those who want melee should wait for Bannerlords (like me).

This game will descend into two charging mobs if Melee is too effective, with lots of players running around and gnashing of teeth. :)

*Cavalry of course is all about the charge.

Offline Hughes

• Surgeon's Mate
« Reply #72 on: September 19, 2017, 02:07:25 pm »
Melee in this period was and should be a very small element of the game and should not dominate the battlefield... those who want melee should wait for Bannerlords (like me).

This game will descend into two charging mobs if Melee is too effective, with lots of players running around and gnashing of teeth. :)

This may not be the game for you it seems.
Have you looked at 'War of Rights'?

Civil War era rifled muskets, the Minié ball.

Offline Charles Caldwell

• Regiment Leaders
  • Master's Mate
  • Retired Founder of the SLRN [Naval Action]
  • Faction: British Empire
  • Nick: [1st L KGL]
« Reply #73 on: September 19, 2017, 02:46:31 pm »

lol I'm a Company Commander (1st North Carolina Sharpshooters C Company) in War of Rights......... can I not enjoy both?

Offline Andee

• Surgeon's Mate
  • Nick: 16e Andee
« Reply #74 on: September 19, 2017, 04:22:17 pm »

lol I'm a Company Commander (1st North Carolina Sharpshooters C Company) in War of Rights......... can I not enjoy both?

I agree with you, melee shouldn't dominate the battlefield, but melee should atleast be fun.