Anvil Game Studios

Author Topic: Melee suggestions/idea's, come share them here!  (Read 16106 times)

Offline Starblazer

• Regiment Leaders
  • Master's Mate
  • Admin for the HCL. JOIN THE 63e!
    • 63e Regiment
  • Faction: French Empire
  • Nick: 63e_SgtMaj_Star
Re: Melee suggestions/idea's, come share them here!
« Reply #165 on: June 12, 2018, 06:40:07 am »
Nerf Austro

Needs to be done.

Will this be in the next update? Cause tbh I was actually hoping for more door memes.
Not in a regiment? Join ours today at https://63eregiment.enjin.com/enlistment

We have over 6 years (Yes, 6 years of linebattles/events/tournaments/trainings on a daily basis) of experience!  We have both NA and EU communities, we play Holdfast, NW as well as various other games. We attend and host linebattles, siege events, naval events, and trainings! Enlist today!

Offline Fullbustr

• Landsman
« Reply #166 on: June 14, 2018, 09:32:57 am »
Wondering if it would be possible to make bayonet on the rifle removable.

when starting the game every line infantry starts with the bayonet in its sheath.
By using the toggle melee the char takes out the bayonets and sockets it on the rifle ( 3sec animation). and melee combat goes like its now.
By socketing the bayonet the char does now do more damage and can stab with the rifle but gets a penalty to loading the rifle aswell as being a bit less acurate ( since the added weight of the socket and blade will cause steadying the rifle to be harder aswell as during the reload you need to watchout that you dont accidently cut your own hand).
Unsocketed rifles are more used as a club and can't stab. they do have the advantage of not having aiming or loading penalties.

Further more commanders would get the option when the distance between 2 lines isnt to great to go over to a charge where the oponent that didnt socket his bayonet yet would be add dis advantage. also infantry that uses swords would have an advantage if a char forgot or wasnt able to socket his bayonet.

This could also become very usefull for when cavalry is added to the game since with out the bayonet infantry is just fodder for the lancers/hussars/cuirassiers. but with the bayonet fixed and forming square cavalry doesnt stand a chance (it would would show the difference between rabble and an organized regiment).

I think these change would benefit the game greatly and add an extra level of depth since the commanders would now need to choice between can we risk not equiping the bayonet.

An example:
The enemy could feint a charge with unsocketed rifle which could cause the commander to interrupting the reloading of his batalion and making them equip bayonets while the enemy actually stops fires and then retreats out of melee charge range. one could then ofcourse charge the now retreating line or resume reloading or socket the bayonets again and curse himself for not seeing that the enemy charged with unsocketed rifles.

Offline Absol

• Master's Mate
  • Faction: British Empire
  • Nick: 61e Absol
« Reply #167 on: June 14, 2018, 06:25:13 pm »

when starting the game every line infantry starts with the bayonet in its sheath.
By using the toggle melee the char takes out the bayonets and sockets it on the rifle ( 3sec animation). and melee combat goes like its now.
By socketing the bayonet the char does now do more damage and can stab with the rifle but gets a penalty to loading the rifle aswell as being a bit less acurate ( since the added weight of the socket and blade will cause steadying the rifle to be harder aswell as during the reload you need to watchout that you dont accidently cut your own hand).
Unsocketed rifles are more used as a club and can't stab. they do have the advantage of not having aiming or loading penalties.

This is planned and has been talked about in the development roadmap. http://www.holdfastgame.com/News/Post?p=1027

Offline Starblazer

• Regiment Leaders
  • Master's Mate
    • 63e Regiment
« Reply #168 on: June 14, 2018, 06:47:50 pm »

This is planned and has been talked about in the development roadmap. http://www.holdfastgame.com/News/Post?p=1027
While I like it for the realism, if bayonet-mounted shooting makes the standard muskets more inaccurate, then without a rifleman accuracy nerf they will be even more OP. But this is a melee thread so I'm all for some fixing of the bayonets.

We have over 6 years (Yes, 6 years of linebattles/events/tournaments/trainings on a daily basis) of experience!  We have both NA and EU communities, we play Holdfast, NW as well as various other games. We attend and host linebattles, siege events, naval events, and trainings! Enlist today!

Offline Sanders

• Lieutenant
  • Nick: Sanders
« Reply #169 on: June 14, 2018, 08:44:57 pm »
Reconstruct the entire combat system please!

Offline seldomsabel

• Landsman
« Reply #170 on: July 16, 2018, 05:55:50 am »
Laying on the ground I think is a standard in combat games, it helps players take a moment to catch there thoughts. Also Surgeons should be able to assist others while croutching.

And maybe implimenting a system where a captain over talks everyone around. So there intructions get passed without trolls playing music cant overwelm the chatting with music

Offline Austro

• Chaplain
  • Owner of The HoldFast Conquest League
  • Nick: Austro
« Reply #171 on: July 16, 2018, 07:19:57 pm »
And maybe implimenting a system where a captain over talks everyone around. So there intructions get passed without trolls playing music cant overwelm the chatting with music

but then the music troll would just go captain class lol

Offline Saga

• Regiment Leaders
  • Captain
  • Bite my shiny metal ass.
    • 4th Regiment of Foot
  • Nick: Henry Evans
« Reply #172 on: August 06, 2018, 05:06:31 am »
December 03, 2017
[close]
Now ("Saga has invited you to play Holdfast Nations at War.")
[close]

Offline Wolfster

• Regiment Leaders
  • Midshipman's Mate
  • 44th Pte Edwin Parker
« Reply #173 on: August 08, 2018, 04:18:30 pm »
December 03, 2017
[close]
Now ("Saga has invited you to play Holdfast Nations at War.")
[close]
legit

Full-Time Lettings Negotiator.

Offline Saga

• Regiment Leaders
  • Captain
  • Bite my shiny metal ass.
    • 4th Regiment of Foot
  • Nick: Henry Evans
« Reply #174 on: August 15, 2018, 06:54:25 am »
We've had about 500 people come through the 4th in whats almost a year. The vast majority hated the melee even if they never played NW. Bad melee, and repetitive gameplay is the number one reason we've had for people leaving.
For the ones that did play NW they went in expecting the minimum standard of melee to be a copy of it. Any improvements would be grand, then after giving linebattles a chance they just leave (I've followed up with our websites member profiles and the overwhelming majority have not played Holdfast recently).
But seriously its getting hard to keep people around. We have people who use the musket in GTAV more often than they play Holdfast at this point.

My only suggestion now can be that we would be ok with a clone/exact copy of NW's melee system. Won't even need any improvements.

Offline J. Campbell

• Surgeon's Mate
  • Master Corporal - 104th Regiment of Foot
  • Nick: John Campbell
« Reply #175 on: September 26, 2018, 10:17:44 pm »
We've had about 500 people come through the 4th in whats almost a year. The vast majority hated the melee even if they never played NW. Bad melee, and repetitive gameplay is the number one reason we've had for people leaving.
For the ones that did play NW they went in expecting the minimum standard of melee to be a copy of it. Any improvements would be grand, then after giving linebattles a chance they just leave (I've followed up with our websites member profiles and the overwhelming majority have not played Holdfast recently).
But seriously its getting hard to keep people around. We have people who use the musket in GTAV more often than they play Holdfast at this point.

My only suggestion now can be that we would be ok with a clone/exact copy of NW's melee system. Won't even need any improvements.
I have to honestly agree with this.  The melee system of NW was amazing and made Linebattles an 1v1's amazing. The amount of things we as reg reps could do with melee is astonishing, including leagues similar to NANWL/TNWL etc. Melee is a basis for competitive play, and quite honestly, it'd make the big regiments shit themselves if a bunch of us NW guys got together and made an elite group focused on melee if new melee was implemented in the NW standard.

Offline Thomas cible facile

• Landsman
« Reply #176 on: November 09, 2018, 02:30:52 pm »
I like the new melee update but I wanted to share some thoughts on Melee.

What bothers me

What bothers me is that the character animation is strange and you're character can rotate on himself that easily while on melee (wich can lead to people spinning around trying to stab each others.)
I feel like spin around thing should be removed and that the melee should be more frontal. Currently It looks like a WW1 aircraft duel...

What I propose

It would be cool to have some inertia and a more detailed animation to add more immersion to the game.

For exemple :

When standing
  • if your character rotate between 0 to 15 degrees right or left from his initial position it is instantaneous but only his head moves.
  • if your character rotate from 15 to 45 degrees right or left from his initial position it is instantaneous and he also turn his feet.
  • If it's above 45 degrees you have a little response time, your character turn his upper body then his feet and make little steps to orientate them in the new direction.

Couldn't find any video showing this but that's the kind of animation your character has in the hitman 2 silent assassin when you look around.

When running
  • if your character rotate (between 0 and 20 degrees left or right) it is instantaeous
  • if it's more than 20 degree you'll get some inertia meaning that you'll need little more steps, space and time to pivot.
  • if it's more than 45 degree your character will instantanely slow down a little for a sec to compensate his inertia.

Not sure If I am really clear about those movements.

PS :

• I have noticed that sometimes you run to a player to put him on your baillonet but he manage to aim right before you were going to stab him and kill you while his musket is passing through your face/body.
  • It would be cool to have some kind of collision system between you and his gun like when something (a wall or a player) obstruct where you have to aim you can't. Rising Storm 2 has a system like that. So he woould not have put his musket through my face to shoot me but would not have been able to aim since I was like 5 centimeters far from him.

This would increase the power of melee since you could manage to get so close to the enemy line that they'll need to go melee or step back to shoot.

• Have you (I adress to the devs) seen the spatial os GDK ? Would you be inclined to test it ? From what I have seen it can manage to have 1000 players on the same map. If we could thanks to this technology up the number of players on a server from 100 to 300 or more that would be wonderful...  ::stars and ferraris in my eyes::
« Last Edit: November 10, 2018, 01:23:36 pm by Thomas cible facile »

Offline TheProTaco

• Regiment Leaders
  • Midshipman's Mate
  • Nulli Secundus
  • Nick: [49th]Taco
« Reply #177 on: November 13, 2018, 06:37:44 pm »
Realistic melee = bad.

It's not what players want. Everyone but a few diehards who don't even play the game want arcade style twitchy melee like in NW. If that weren't true NW wouldn't still be massively successful and you wouldn't see the primary reason for people leaving this community being how slow and broken the melee is.

Can't agree more, we've seen about 400 or so people come in/go through over the last year and the main reason was melee. Ask any even moderately sized regiment and they'll be able to say they've seen the same thing. This wasn't an issue in NW so clearly people liked it then.

Some good work has gone into melee recently and its had a massive positive effect throughout most of the community, the general feedback I hear from dozens of our own members daily is that it still needs to be way faster, have more dynamic damage based on speed and hit location, and introduce mechanics for skilled play. NW had chambering, the "clashes" or "parries" as people are calling them in Holdfast don't come close to producing the same effect, they're useless and generally accidental.

TL;DR most of the community wants fast twitchy combat, anyone who says otherwise is out of touch or unfamiliar with the community. Sorry not sorry.

Click the signature to go to my Steam profile!

Offline Starblazer

• Regiment Leaders
  • Master's Mate
    • 63e Regiment
« Reply #178 on: November 13, 2018, 07:41:41 pm »
Kicks when

Offline TheProTaco

• Regiment Leaders
  • Midshipman's Mate
  • Nulli Secundus
  • Nick: [49th]Taco

Click the signature to go to my Steam profile!