Anvil Game Studios

Author Topic: Whitelisting / Blacklisting of words  (Read 2421 times)

Offline Ewoksson

• Petty Officer
    • NRP Forums
  • Faction: Neutral
  • Nick: PussySlayer69
Whitelisting / Blacklisting of words
« on: July 21, 2017, 05:08:01 am »
So here I am, making a suggestion instead of praising or shitting on some other idea. The server I'm partly representing on the Holdfast forums together with @Kaide Wolf, @Pew Pew Youre Dead,  @El_Presidente and @Scandypandy, is known as the stick in the eye for the Political Correct and Social Justice Warriors in the NW community, partly because we allow political talk and keep the server as an alternative to all the overly safe space servers.
Yet, I'm the guy suggesting a way to blacklist words in-game on servers, whether it's by putting words in a text file in the server folder or by some other way.
I'm not implying all of these words should be blacklisted, but to be taken into consideration for the need of a blacklist. This is statistics from the NWRP chat logs:
Spoiler
[close]

*Fuck might not be so harmful unless it's aimed towards someone else and combined with another bad word.
**Hitler might have been used in rather reasonable conversations about World War II.
(***)The statistics might represent one guy saying one bad word many times.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2017, 11:43:41 pm by Bluehawk »
The Napoleonic Role Play Discord

Offline James Brock

• Surgeon
  • Its James Brock, you know me.
    • Steam Profile
  • Faction: British Empire
  • Nick: James | Michael
Re: Whitelisting / Blacklisting of words
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2017, 06:09:39 am »
« Last Edit: July 21, 2017, 11:43:50 pm by Bluehawk »

Offline DΛRKWΛVΣ

• Surgeon
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2017, 10:02:44 am »
If a white person says Nigger it is offended as it means "Slave" so yes getting rid of these words in a community would be very appreciated. Though this is and always will be the internet. You just can't blacklist these words sadly because there always will be racist people or trolls surfing around. How hard you try to keep maturity and respect alive, there are always people who need to fuck it up.

Offline Exodus

• Chaplain
  • Major Jackson - 1st Royal Victoria Regiment
  • Nick: Louis Jackson
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2017, 10:40:03 am »
I also very much so agree, I'm no SJW but in OC the amount of shit that is said is just cancer.

Offline Jack

• Regiment Leaders
  • Lieutenant
  • Nick: Jack Glenn
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2017, 11:19:02 am »
If a white person says Nigger it is offended as it means "Slave" so yes getting rid of these words in a community would be very appreciated. Though this is and always will be the internet. You just can't blacklist these words sadly because there always will be racist people or trolls surfing around. How hard you try to keep maturity and respect alive, there are always people who need to fuck it up.
+1

Offline Scandypandy

• Petty Officer
  • Is minic a bhris béal duine a shrón.
  • Nick: Scandypandy
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2017, 01:54:22 pm »
Censorship is for Kraut/Anglo/Commie filth.

Many servers just ban people for using these words or for being hostile toward anyone in general, and these servers quickly gain a reputation as "no fun allowed."
Removing rules on racism and whatnot was a huge bolster to the NWRP community (a change I initially opposed) not because everyone wanted to spam bigotry but more because not fearing a ban over chatting shit in chat openly encouraged much more idle banter and has helped forge friendships and communities through the server.

At the end of the day we aren't starting a political movement, we're hosting servers on a video game in a niche genre an otherwise hugely saturated market.

Typical SWEDE

Although generally I'm against admins themselves using things like admin chat for such words because it feels forcibly edgy, so I'd get behind a system for that.
Ní dhéanfadh an saol capall rása d'asal.

Offline Legolas

• Landsman
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2017, 03:12:46 pm »
GAYYYYYYYYYYY

Offline Nurdbot

• Surgeon's Mate
  • Just another old snoddy
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2017, 03:16:25 pm »
I demand a filter that replaces all this rubbish with early 19th century slang and cusses to be historically accurate, which will be entertaining and shut everyone up for ever.

Offline DΛRKWΛVΣ

• Surgeon
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2017, 03:53:49 pm »
I demand a filter that replaces all this rubbish with early 19th century slang and cusses to be historically accurate, which will be entertaining and shut everyone up for ever.
this

Offline SwydeBarca

• Surgeon's Mate
    • 66th Regiment of Foot [Line, Arty, Ship] [EU]
  • Nick: 66th SwydeBarca
« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2017, 04:28:00 pm »
Hear, hear.

One thing tho, how would you prevent people from using variants of that word? For exemple, saying f uck or f to avoid being censored.

Offline El_Presidente

• Surgeon's Mate
  • Executive Admin of NRP, Colonel of 19th Yorkshire
  • Nick: El_Presidente
« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2017, 05:25:14 pm »
As his royal highness the XA, I am already aware the that both the HA and the 59th prefer to leave NRP players to say whatever they hell they want. That is how we are the biggest server. To be quite frank the trolls that post this kind of stuff are absolutely hilarious in -some- of the stuff they say.

If some people really do care about it that much then adding an option in the game's options for a chat filter may be appropriate but I, for one, will never use it.
NRP_XA_Nobomin-El-Presidente
19th_Col_Nobomin-El-Presidente

Offline Ewoksson

• Petty Officer
    • NRP Forums
  • Nick: PussySlayer69
« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2017, 07:54:41 pm »
Hear, hear.

One thing tho, how would you prevent people from using variants of that word? For exemple, saying f uck or f to avoid being censored.
Well typical blacklists don't prevent it unless it's integrated into the engine to detect similarities, otherwise you will have to manually add every alternative way of spelling it. It's easier than said with some imagination. People won't risk their message getting automatically deleted if their alternative doesn't work / harder to remember and they will choose to use a better word.
As his royal highness the XA, I am already aware the that both the HA and the 59th prefer to leave NRP players to say whatever they hell they want. That is how we are the biggest server. To be quite frank the trolls that post this kind of stuff are absolutely hilarious in -some- of the stuff they say.

If some people really do care about it that much then adding an option in the game's options for a chat filter may be appropriate but I, for one, will never use it.
I wouldn't say it's the only reason why NWRP is the biggest server. We've got good, mature and active admins, loyal and active players and scripts both in-game and out-of-game making the server more interesting with leaderboard, admin tools and grenades, but of course the server rules (which by the way no-one actually reads) and the role plays are reasons why players pick our server. Popular servers do also gain more popularity by being popular as a large majority of players prefer to play on filled servers. I'd say loyalty is not easily kept on any server in any game. If a server dies for more than a month, or if another server can offer the same with a fresh vibe, then any old school server can be killed. I've killed competitors to my servers and my clans in the past b o i.
The filter will in this case be server-wide, no more newmins wondering whether or not to ban idiots, nor may the idiots disturb other people having a good time.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2017, 08:00:41 pm by Ewoksson »
The Napoleonic Role Play Discord

Offline SwydeBarca

• Surgeon's Mate
    • 66th Regiment of Foot [Line, Arty, Ship] [EU]
  • Nick: 66th SwydeBarca
« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2017, 03:51:45 am »
Well typical blacklists don't prevent it unless it's integrated into the engine to detect similarities, otherwise you will have to manually add every alternative way of spelling it. It's easier than said with some imagination. People won't risk their message getting automatically deleted if their alternative doesn't work / harder to remember and they will choose to use a better word.

Then I support this motion entirely