Anvil Game Studios

Author Topic: Ship Names  (Read 1573 times)

Offline MrSharkie

• Surgeon's Mate
  • EastInCo | Commodore
  • Faction: British Empire
  • Nick: Sharkie
Ship Names
« on: September 21, 2017, 01:45:38 am »
What ship name did you pick for your ship crew and why? :)

I named my Ship after the "The Mary Rose". She was the second most powerful ship in king Henry's fleet and a personal favourite of the kings. It was built for close combat and that is the reason In which I chose this name, that and she lead the great battle that decimated the French and forced them to retreat within the first French war and continued fighting the French on and off throughout the next 40 odd years. Also because I can see the ship as its only around a 20 minute drive from my house and god damn she is a beauty (Or what's left of her is anyway ;P)!

« Last Edit: September 21, 2017, 02:43:45 am by MrSharkie »

Offline freddiebox

• Petty Officer
  • För Kung och Fosterland!
  • Faction: Neutral
  • Nick: Rehnskiöld
Re: Ship Names
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2017, 01:25:28 am »
Our regiment went with the H.M.S. Göta Lejon, which simply translates to Göta Lion, and Göta is short for the state of Götaland in Southern Sweden where she was built.

There is not a whole bunch of history on Göta Lejon other than she being a two-deck ship of the line with 70 guns. She mainly saw naval battle between 1746 and 1790, but was modernized and rearmed for the Napoleonic Wars. Unfortunately she was scrapped in 1817. Most likely because of her age and Sweden demanding modern ships to fight the wars. Sweden did afterall side with the British Empire and fought France on several occassions in Germany, while fighting the Danes back at home.

There is no high quality painting of Göta Lejon other than technical illustrations, but she would look like this after her refitting, which is a painting of ship of the line H.M.S. Konung Adolf Fredrik. Built in the same yard as Göta Lejon, carrying 70 guns, and saw action between 1788 and 1825.

« Last Edit: September 22, 2017, 01:28:52 am by freddiebox »

Offline General Shepherd

• Lieutenant
  • Peace at Home, Peace in the World
    • Steam
  • Faction: British Empire
  • Nick: Lt.Gen Shepherd
Re: Ship Names
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2017, 08:32:46 am »