Anvil Game Studios

Author Topic: Line Formations  (Read 1252 times)

Offline DharkUSMC

• Ordinary Seaman
  • Semper Fi
  • Faction: British Empire
  • Nick: D'Hark
Line Formations
« on: September 26, 2017, 10:49:17 pm »
A suggestions for forming lines would be to buff player accuracy, reload, and maybe health. Or any combination of the mentioned buffs.  As of right now if one team forms lines they die in a pile. The team that makes the most lines loses.

There needs to be an incentive for lines, or some kind of perk to doing so because right now the guy with cover wins the day.  Everyone wants to form lines which looks awesome but, I see line after line get slaughtered. With accuracy as it is i love shooting into lines because i know my round is going to hit someone even if it strays left or right. Food for thought. I love the game and cant wait to see where it ends up as the updates roll out.

Offline Lecourbe

• Regiment Leaders
  • Master's Mate
  • Par le fer quand le feu manque !
    • 61e Régiment
  • Faction: French Empire
  • Nick: [61e] Lecourbe
Re: Line Formations
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2017, 12:02:23 am »
If you really want to play as line then you should join a regiment.

Btw, how could the game be able to consider which one is a line, or which one is not?

Spoiler
[close]

Offline DharkUSMC

• Ordinary Seaman
  • Semper Fi
  • Nick: D'Hark
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2017, 12:51:41 am »
Its not that i want to do lines, im just stating that people who do form them get slaughtered and it hurts their team more than benefit.

As far as the game being able to discern what a line is maybe have the officers have a template for line formations, and have ground markers visible to the team. The players who fill the markers get the buff. Markers being a small colored circle for the line infantry players to stand in based off the officer.  Can add different formation options to the officers and can get creative with single line, double lines, etc.

Not sure how hard it would be to code a check for the markers to see if a player is within the small markers radius of the formation spots and apply the buffs.

Offline Spork

• Able Seaman
  • 为人民服务 - Serve the People
  • Nick: SJWC Spork
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2017, 04:14:18 am »
There is a stark difference between playing on a public server and playing in a line battle. Using cover is a better way to fight, which is why modern armies do not stand in lines and take turns firing at each other. Battling in lines is a matter of old-school honour, and probably organization and discipline as well. If you want to use lines in a public server, you need a good leader at the head of the line, who does not simply bring everyone up to where the enemy is, halt, and fire at will until the path is clear to move up further. You should still use cover, especially walls that you can get your whole line behind, and increase your spacing from zero to maybe two or three meters between each soldier, because while the enemy is not going to stand shoulder-to-shoulder, out in the open, for you and your line.

If anybody wants to learn how to really lead lines in pub servers, I would recommend talking to William of the 63e, he's darn good at it.

As for your suggestion, it would indeed be really neat if officers could control some line markers that appear on the ground or that people could lock into and hold formation, but when you look at regiments attending organized line battles, people train to do that anyway without overt in-game UI guidance. Buffs for being in formation would also be neat, but you could also gather a musician and a flag-bearer to travel with your line to get buffs.

It would be cool, yes, and would probably make a great game mode in itself, but it's not really necessary. If you're worried about lines in pub servers, the officers are just going to need to get better at leading in the world of pub servers and not just act like they know what they're doing.

Offline Lecourbe

• Regiment Leaders
  • Master's Mate
  • Par le fer quand le feu manque !
    • 61e Régiment
  • Faction: French Empire
  • Nick: [61e] Lecourbe
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2017, 07:37:47 pm »
Using cover is a better way to fight, which is why modern armies do not stand in lines and take turns firing at each other. Battling in lines is a matter of old-school honour, and probably organization and discipline as well.

They were fighting as "proper lines" only for big engagements, on open fields.

Offline TomaHawkAU

• Surgeon's Mate
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2017, 11:18:38 pm »
From what I have researched the reason they formed lines was not for "honour" but was because it made sense, the French formed massed ranks so that it was harder for conscripts to rout while it also was the best way to get a huge amount of firepower onto a particular area, also in battle when smoke built up and sounds were deafening without technologies such as the radio forming lines made alot of sense because you knew the two people to your left and right were friendly and you just followed them while the people in front were most likely enemy. It doesnt work in game because we don't fear to die and we almost all use teamspeak or some form of voice chat meaning that I can be on the other side of the map and still know where my team is, also there is not enough people to create the blanket smoke that made it very hard to see. As also brought up before 125-200 people battles were only small skirmishers where (by the end of the war which I believe is what this game portrays) most line infantry regiments were trained to use skirmishing tactics.