Anvil Game Studios

Author Topic: Allowing multiples of the same Regiment:  (Read 12406 times)

Offline Tardet

• Master's Mate
  • Hope is a lost value nowdays.
  • Faction: French Empire
  • Nick: 92nd_Tardet
Re: Allowing multiples of the same Regiment:
« Reply #30 on: January 27, 2017, 11:58:11 pm »
It has always been rather simple. Having two regiments sharing the same name but being NA & EU was generally allowed because both community basically have zero thing in common besides the game they play on. Of course, if the regiment was EU lets say, and a new born NA regiment would come to take the name, it'd be appreciated that they talk to the leader of the 'older' regiment to let them know they would use the name but not in the same community/events and eventually could take a different tag aswell. McEwan for instance, some years ago, was quite good at explaining this to new regimental leaders.

When some retards tried to take the name of well established EU regiment in the late years (can't speak for NA since it's not my community), they got basically stopped right at the start, people telling them the name was already taken. If those newcommers tried to act stuborn, a moderator would come in and tell them how things are supposed to be done, closing the topic and eventually you would see the same regiment poping-up under a new name a few days later, or not.

The only thing is that, when regiment were disbanded, they couldn't hold on to the name which was basically free of use. Some people like the 14e for instance, were smart enough to keep the name and just turn as a gaming community, waiting for a game like HoldFast for them to use the name again.

That should be the community's role (which is for now composed for a huge majority of former or current NW players) to put a certain amount of pressure when some edgy kids try to 'steal' a name which has already been used a long time ago and/or for quite a long time. Eventually, moderators which have a deep knowledge of the community history could get involved if need is be but I believe that if you come on a new game, pick a name for your regiment, create a thread and once you've posted it, a dozen of people which are more experienced explain you politely and nicely that this name has already been taken by people using it for years, and that you're invited to change it as soon as possible, there should be in most cases no problem at all.
'Don't worry too much about what people think, they don't do it very often.'

Offline Aldemar

• Master's Mate
  • Colonel Capt. Aldejack Sparrowdemar
    • 84e Website
  • Nick: 84e_Col_Aldemar
« Reply #31 on: January 28, 2017, 01:26:17 am »
It has always been rather simple. Having two regiments sharing the same name but being NA & EU was generally allowed because both community basically have zero thing in common besides the game they play on. Of course, if the regiment was EU lets say, and a new born NA regiment would come to take the name, it'd be appreciated that they talk to the leader of the 'older' regiment to let them know they would use the name but not in the same community/events and eventually could take a different tag aswell. McEwan for instance, some years ago, was quite good at explaining this to new regimental leaders.

When some retards tried to take the name of well established EU regiment in the late years (can't speak for NA since it's not my community), they got basically stopped right at the start, people telling them the name was already taken. If those newcommers tried to act stuborn, a moderator would come in and tell them how things are supposed to be done, closing the topic and eventually you would see the same regiment poping-up under a new name a few days later, or not.

The only thing is that, when regiment were disbanded, they couldn't hold on to the name which was basically free of use. Some people like the 14e for instance, were smart enough to keep the name and just turn as a gaming community, waiting for a game like HoldFast for them to use the name again.

That should be the community's role (which is for now composed for a huge majority of former or current NW players) to put a certain amount of pressure when some edgy kids try to 'steal' a name which has already been used a long time ago and/or for quite a long time. Eventually, moderators which have a deep knowledge of the community history could get involved if need is be but I believe that if you come on a new game, pick a name for your regiment, create a thread and once you've posted it, a dozen of people which are more experienced explain you politely and nicely that this name has already been taken by people using it for years, and that you're invited to change it as soon as possible, there should be in most cases no problem at all.

I agree with the most points you have and i think you ment 84e Community and yes we never disbanded.

We own domains,banners,emails, forums and alot other media with the 84e name in it.
To use another is not an option.

And yes we just waited for another game, like NW.

« Last Edit: January 28, 2017, 02:03:31 am by Aldemar »

Offline Tardet

• Master's Mate
« Reply #32 on: January 28, 2017, 02:03:41 am »
I get you Aldemar, to my eyes (and to the eyes of many) there is only one real 84e and its yours. You have made the name the reputation it has on NW so if someone from EU would have come and try taking your name over, the reaction of the community would have been probably to massively support you guys.

This said, I don't think having a NA 84e would dammage you in any ways, they will mind their own business in their own community, if they want to play as 84e, as long as they don't attend any EU event, what is the real problem? Would show you as the 'mature' side to just let them do whatever they want. There was a NA 91st and Tav never gave two fucks about it. There was a NA 92nd and I doubt Donald cared either. There can be a NA 84e aswell, the EU one will most likely remain the most sucessful one, and by far so you've absolutely no reason to be worried about them in any case.

Offline John Price

• Surgeon's Mate
  • Colonel - 18e 'Les Braves'
  • Nick: Chriseh
« Reply #33 on: January 28, 2017, 02:07:33 am »
Agreed on basically all points made by everyone! The idea of having 2 regs of the same name just doesn't work. To be frank even having an NA regiment use the same name as me, without changing the tags would annoy me as we recruit to both sides.

Also that 92nd was a part of Donalds 92nd anyway Tardet :*
Proudly leading the 18e for over 5 years, since January 2013.

Offline Tardet

• Master's Mate
« Reply #34 on: January 28, 2017, 02:14:34 am »
Agreed on basically all points made by everyone! The idea of having 2 regs of the same name just doesn't work. To be frank even having an NA regiment use the same name as me, without changing the tags would annoy me as we recruit to both sides.

I was in it so I know it friend ;) I was speaking about another 92nd which was created within the time the 92nd was still up and running and we hadn't our NA company yet.

Offline Sanders

• Lieutenant
  • Nick: Sanders
« Reply #35 on: January 28, 2017, 02:29:08 am »
I get you Aldemar, to my eyes (and to the eyes of many) there is only one real 84e and its yours. You have made the name the reputation it has on NW so if someone from EU would have come and try taking your name over, the reaction of the community would have been probably to massively support you guys.

This said, I don't think having a NA 84e would dammage you in any ways, they will mind their own business in their own community, if they want to play as 84e, as long as they don't attend any EU event, what is the real problem? Would show you as the 'mature' side to just let them do whatever they want. There was a NA 91st and Tav never gave two fucks about it. There was a NA 92nd and I doubt Donald cared either. There can be a NA 84e aswell, the EU one will most likely remain the most sucessful one, and by far so you've absolutely no reason to be worried about them in any case.
I agree with the most of the points you made, but I still think that there shouldn't be 2 regiments with the same name even if they are NA and EU. It pains me to see people copying regimental names because the leader most likely didn't think about a unique regimental name. They most likely picked it because they saw it was very popular and that was the extent of them deciding on the name. It also means If they picked a regimental name that was famous like the 84e case, that duplicate regiment would be stuck in the shadow of the bigger and more prestigious regiment. The other 84e should still rename and try to make their own legacy instead of chasing the shadows of what the EU 84e did.

Offline Tardet

• Master's Mate
« Reply #36 on: January 28, 2017, 02:34:44 am »
You also have to take into account that this game is firsly made with historical purposes and therefore, some people creating regiments are taking name based on their historical reputation, and not their ingame one.

Offline Aldemar

• Master's Mate
    • 84e Website
« Reply #37 on: January 28, 2017, 03:10:15 am »
We are based on EU but i see us as a international regiment, we always had and have NA members. I think it would only cause problems with two regiments and the same name.  I would agree on a detachment, but they denied.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2017, 03:22:39 am by Aldemar »

Offline Tardet

• Master's Mate
« Reply #38 on: January 28, 2017, 03:56:16 am »
We are based on EU but i see us as a international regiment, we always had and have NA members. I think it would only cause problems with two regiments and the same name.  I would agree on a detachment, but they denied.

Many big EU regiments often had NA members within their ranks, that's still different from partaking into NA events though ^^

But well, I just stated my point of view knowing how the community behaved for quite a long time, not gonna try to argue or convince you into something you clearly don't believe, I guess the mods will deal with the situation with the on-going 84e NA and 84e EU as they see fit. I always had a big respect for the 84e and I do hope you stick with your name nontheless.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2017, 03:59:10 am by Tardet »

Offline Aldemar

• Master's Mate
    • 84e Website
« Reply #39 on: January 28, 2017, 04:10:12 am »

Many big EU regiments often had NA members within their ranks, that's still different from partaking into NA events though ^^

But well, I just stated my point of view knowing how the community behaved for quite a long time, not gonna try to argue or convince you into something you clearly don't believe, I guess the mods will deal with the situation with the on-going 84e NA and 84e EU as they see fit. I always had a big respect for the 84e and I do hope you stick with your name nontheless.

Yes, i understand and i didnt took you wrong. Thank you for the support Tardet!  Un Contre Dix

Offline PennyS

• Ordinary Seaman
« Reply #40 on: January 28, 2017, 04:34:15 pm »

Apparently the NA 84e want to come in the EU community too.

Offline Gurkha

• Midshipman's Mate
  • 33rd_Gurkha
    • 33rd Regiment of Foot
  • Faction: British Empire
  • Nick: Gurkha
« Reply #41 on: January 29, 2017, 11:14:48 am »
I don't wanna be cucked  :-[

Offline John Price

• Surgeon's Mate
  • Colonel - 18e 'Les Braves'
  • Nick: Chriseh
« Reply #42 on: January 29, 2017, 03:23:02 pm »

I was in it so I know it friend ;) I was speaking about another 92nd which was created within the time the 92nd was still up and running and we hadn't our NA company yet.
Oh fair enough then. I remember there being an NA 91st lead by Lawbringer and Audiate but not a 92nd :'(
Proudly leading the 18e for over 5 years, since January 2013.

Offline Pepper

• Master's Mate
  • Father of North American Cavalry.
  • Nick: Pepper
« Reply #43 on: January 29, 2017, 03:39:10 pm »

Oh fair enough then. I remember there being an NA 91st lead by Lawbringer and Audiate but not a 92nd :'(
Nobody wanted those retards to take those regiment names. They did it to simply try to make themselves look like legitimate regiment leaders because they couldn't build a name for themselves.

Offline Sanders

• Lieutenant
  • Nick: Sanders
« Reply #44 on: January 29, 2017, 04:50:55 pm »

Nobody wanted those retards to take those regiment names. They did it to simply try to make themselves look like legitimate regiment leaders because they couldn't build a name for themselves.
Basically the majority of NA leaders are special needs, they usually steal regimental names to either be a tryhard competitive regiment, a trolling fuckfest regiment, a meme regiment, or some combination of those reasons. I think the 91st, 92nd, and the 84e should only be run by people on the EU side, of course NA people would be allowed in but their shouldn't be a separate NA entente of the 84e or the 91st.