Anvil Game Studios

Author Topic: Riflemen  (Read 21456 times)

Offline LePoof

• Petty Officer
  • Talk is for lovers, lets fight!
  • Faction: French Empire
  • Nick: Le poofster
Re: Riflemen
« Reply #45 on: February 11, 2018, 02:40:41 pm »
Yes, they in game (and now connot be simply removed) - and this kind of disign trap.

Why?

Lets imagine riflemen were nefred to reasonable not crippling degree (reload, ammo, generaly).

Does this change things a lot? I doubt. Almost guarantee that you still get not any close to this 10 slots with slow loading on more or less polulated server. People will still play as they played. Other players be still annoyed by "cheap" kills from riflemen and too little tastly slots for "win sticks". Yes, efficiency at frag farmng will be little bit lower, but not so drammatic. And riflemen will continue to be outcasts in serious competive linebattles (even smoothbore skirmishers little bit on border), because in hands of skilled players this is just too much advantage in current game mechanics against line infantry actually in line.

So I think riflemen thing in public games this can be resolved more in lines of changes in spawn mechanics or kit rotation. Not just nefring numbers. This is more wide, disign problem. Like if you have something more powerful in game, make honest chances to everyone to use it (preferable for short time).

Another option is to nerf riflemen just to death, to level when class is so bad, that you can see free slots on 150 ppl server. But this is far from good option too.

May be I not understanding something, but this is my experience with "human nature and balance" in shooters for last decade or so.

Dude Sharpes Rifles, and Sean Bean are more important than game balance. Also some players only play games or desire(willing to pay extra) for an edge up on other players(WoT's anyone). They will never remove them, but that is fine if we have server controls that allows us to have private servers without them. Frankly it just makes the game a shoot and hide game currently. Horses will not change much they just make easier targets.

I totally agree with you on the point of this beganning to feel like just another shooter game. Several steps can be made to change this though, and complaining without suggestion is just whinning. I would give Officers a regenerative health AOE, surgeons a limited spawn abiltiy, flagbeaers a Health buff AOE, drummers a load speed buff, and fife/pipes the hit buff. Give people a reason to seek the line, and they will.

Regardless this all changes when we get server controls to just rid them from our game.

Offline Mousecatcher

• Surgeon's Mate
  • 51st Regiment of Foot
  • Faction: Neutral
« Reply #46 on: February 11, 2018, 04:24:31 pm »
Even with all this passive aoe - bonuses to officers and supports, people will not happly fall in orderly line, just hide in cover (like in buildings/fences/rocks) and old good shoot and hide continue with even more comfort.

Something more "directional" and "interactive", so to say, needed. To use for action (attack), not defence.

Like officers have limited (cooldown) charge! command, that for like 30 sec gives wide aoe with at least running speed bonus, may be more.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2018, 04:26:48 pm by Mousecatcher »

Offline Absol

• Master's Mate
  • Faction: British Empire
  • Nick: 61e Absol
« Reply #47 on: February 11, 2018, 09:14:41 pm »
Even with all this passive aoe - bonuses to officers and supports, people will not happly fall in orderly line, just hide in cover (like in buildings/fences/rocks) and old good shoot and hide continue with even more comfort.

Something more "directional" and "interactive", so to say, needed. To use for action (attack), not defence.

Like officers have limited (cooldown) charge! command, that for like 30 sec gives wide aoe with at least running speed bonus, may be more.
It (should) also give a melee damage buff.
http://anvilgamestudios.com/News/Post?p=1010

Offline Absol

• Master's Mate
  • Nick: 61e Absol
« Reply #48 on: February 11, 2018, 09:20:57 pm »
Yes, they in game (and now connot be simply removed) - and this kind of disign trap.

Why?

Lets imagine riflemen were nefred to reasonable not crippling degree (reload, ammo, generaly).

Does this change things a lot? I doubt. Almost guarantee that you still get not any close to this 10 slots with slow loading on more or less polulated server. People will still play as they played. Other players be still annoyed by "cheap" kills from riflemen and too little tastly slots for "win sticks". Yes, efficiency at frag farmng will be little bit lower, but not so drammatic. And riflemen will continue to be outcasts in serious competive linebattles (even smoothbore skirmishers little bit on border), because in hands of skilled players this is just too much advantage in current game mechanics against line infantry actually in line.

So I think riflemen thing in public games this can be resolved more in lines of changes in spawn mechanics or kit rotation. Not just nefring numbers. This is more wide, disign problem. Like if you have something more powerful in game, make honest chances to everyone to use it (preferable for short time).

Another option is to nerf riflemen just to death, to level when class is so bad, that you can see free slots on 150 ppl server. But this is far from good option too.

May be I not understanding something, but this is my experience with "human nature and balance" in shooters for last decade or so.
I don't see how getting kills with a class that has both advantages and disadvantages makes them "cheap kills". When they're getting harrased by cav all the time, they won't be as big of a problem.

Offline Pepe The Frog

• Able Seaman
« Reply #49 on: February 12, 2018, 05:14:41 am »
i wonder what will be the next excuse when cavalry proves to be useless in skirmish maps and  gets shot from an advantage spot.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2018, 08:52:05 am by Bluehawk »

Offline Pepe The Frog

• Able Seaman
« Reply #50 on: February 12, 2018, 05:41:15 am »

Offline Moreton

• Landsman
« Reply #51 on: February 12, 2018, 04:32:17 pm »
Rifles aren't as broken as people think. Yea' they give you an accuracy and range advantage, but they have a longer reload time, lack bayonets, and are limited to just 10 slots. People seem to be on the verge of saying that playing as a rifleman is the only way to dominate the scoreboard which just isn't true. On public servers I rarely get into game in time to get a rifle slot but I've never found myself saying 'gee if only I was a rifleman I could be playing well'.

Yea' they have an easier time than other classes, but that's why they're so limited. I wouldn't be against seeing a nerf to their reload time and maybe cartridges as people have suggested but there's no need to over-nerf them.

Offline LePoof

• Petty Officer
« Reply #52 on: February 12, 2018, 05:28:56 pm »

He missed why the Infantry Massed in such a way(to protect the Big Guns).

Offline CaptainDocPomus

• Landsman
« Reply #53 on: February 15, 2018, 05:47:10 pm »
I tend to think the problem with the class is it's the class EVERYONE wants to play, in any given battle it is the first class to be taken. As a player with a slower connection I never get to play this class, perhaps a mechanic that does not allow you to choose Riflemen twice in a row? It's easily the most OP class in the game and now instead of 1 out of 10 chance of getting it, there is only a 1/6 chance to get it, which less Riflemen is nicer for those of us who don't get to play them but seem to die over and over by their hands. Still, It's going to be the one thing everyone wants to play. I personally like a lot of the other classes but it would be nice to at least try out Rifleman which is not easy unless you are quick on the draw.

Offline LePoof

• Petty Officer
« Reply #54 on: February 15, 2018, 05:57:10 pm »
I tend to think the problem with the class is it's the class EVERYONE wants to play, in any given battle it is the first class to be taken. As a player with a slower connection I never get to play this class, perhaps a mechanic that does not allow you to choose Riflemen twice in a row? It's easily the most OP class in the game and now instead of 1 out of 10 chance of getting it, there is only a 1/6 chance to get it, which less Riflemen is nicer for those of us who don't get to play them but seem to die over and over by their hands. Still, It's going to be the one thing everyone wants to play. I personally like a lot of the other classes but it would be nice to at least try out Rifleman which is not easy unless you are quick on the draw.

Rifleman game in a nut shell. Get circle on target around 50m, and click mouse button to fire. Bang you hit, real easy...

Offline Pepe The Frog

• Able Seaman
« Reply #55 on: February 15, 2018, 06:57:49 pm »

Rifleman game in a nut shell. Get circle on target around 50m, and click mouse button to fire. Bang you hit, real easy...

is pretty much the same with every other class though. Regardless of that i have more fun doing long shot practice with the rifleman even now that got severely nerfed.

Offline CharlieTwoFive

• Surgeon's Mate
  • The Swordsman
  • Nick: CharlieTwoFive
« Reply #56 on: February 15, 2018, 08:39:33 pm »

is pretty much the same with every other class though. Regardless of that i have more fun doing long shot practice with the rifleman even now that got severely nerfed.

Did I miss something? What nerf did the rifleman get? The reduction of rifleman slots cannot be called a nerf. Or did they finally increase the reload speed?
MultiOnlineGamer since 2005

Offline Pepe The Frog

• Able Seaman
« Reply #57 on: February 15, 2018, 08:50:41 pm »

Did I miss something? What nerf did the rifleman get? The reduction of rifleman slots cannot be called a nerf. Or did they finally increase the reload speed?

at least from what i've seen the bullet drop and accuracy changed big time which changes the whole dynamic of the rifleman.

Offline TooL69

• Surgeon's Mate
« Reply #58 on: February 15, 2018, 09:14:47 pm »
Surprisingly, the stones and darts seem more effective than the weapons of the 19th century presented in the game ...
« Last Edit: February 15, 2018, 09:17:20 pm by TooL69 »

Offline Moreton

• Landsman
« Reply #59 on: February 16, 2018, 02:59:26 pm »
How come Rifles are now only limited to 6 on a server instead of 10?

Now that basically means that unless you're really lucky the only way to play Rifles is join a Rifles Reg. This is going to mess up Rifle Reg's a bit too as well though if they can only take 6 rifles to a game. Have I missed something? Nothing about this in the latest update news.