Anvil Game Studios

Author Topic: How to make a Holdfast: Nations At War Regiment [Guide]  (Read 3159 times)

Online Haybales

• Regiment Leaders
  • Acting Lieutenant
  • Official Server Administrator
    • 1st King's Royal Army
  • Faction: British Empire
  • Nick: Bailey
How to make a Holdfast: Nations At War Regiment [Guide]
« on: August 23, 2018, 09:11:01 pm »

HOW TO MAKE A HOLDFAST: NATIONS AT WAR REGIMENT

Hello! This is an extensive guide on the topic of leading a successful Regiment in Holdfast: Nations at War. My name is Bailey, better known as Haybales in the community; and I currently lead the King's Royal Army which is identified as the largest community (casual) based group in the game at the time of this writing. This guide will dive into every aspect of building a Regiment of any function - whether it be casual, communal, competitive, realistic or roleplay based. The guide will be broken down into 3 sections - so feel free to scroll to the appropriate section if you're looking for something specific.

Feel free to comment any additions, suggested modifications or feedback/comments regarding the guide or the topic!

SECTION I | PREPARATION & SET UP

There are some things you're going to need before starting up your group in Holdfast, as follows:

A Regimental Name
Firstly, is your Regiment going to be British, French or Prussian, or are you looking to make a Regiment of an alternate faction that isn't yet included in the game? Keep in mind, at the end of the day this is a video game - and you won't be scolded for not following every historical accuracy of your chosen group. You should choose your name based on availability and personal preference. If you're looking to create a light infantry/skirmisher regiment, pick an appropriate name to publicly represent yourself as such - this is the same across all forms of Regiments, whether it be Line, Cavalry, Artillery, Lights, Guards etc.

IMPORTANT: Make sure your name isn't taken on the Official Regiment & Crew List before you go any further with your Regiment.

If you're looking for inspiration, there are some fantastic compilations on the Total War Center for you to browse.

A list of British Army Regiments can be found here.
A list of French Army Regiments can be found here.
A list of Prussian Army Regiments can be found here.

Picked out a name? Fantastic! Double check that your name isn't taken on the Official Regiment & Crew List, and then we're ready to advance with the next 3 steps regarding your name:

What your Holdfast Thread should include
[close]

A Method of Communication
There are two services that the Regimental community use for communication - TeamSpeak 3 and Discord. Both services have their advantages and drawbacks, and every current Regiment likely uses one of these services. Either one will work fine, but you are encouraged to do your own research into what either platform can do for you before choosing where you want to go! The primary function of either service will be: a place to vocally communicate for hanging out & playing events and a way to track who holds what rank in your Regiment.

Discord can provide you with text & voice channels, but struggles with depth of server roles/permissions - causing some frustrations when it comes to setting up how your ranks interact with channels and other members. Newer and more casual groups tend to favor Discord.

TeamSpeak 3 is essentially exclusively voice based communication - but has a very well designed server group/permissions system which allows you to be a little more intricate with your ranks and how they interact with the rest of the Regiment. Older (competitive) Regiments and M&B: NW groups tend to favor TeamSpeak 3.

IMPORTANT: I do recommend downloading both of these services regardless of your chosen platform - to make networking easier in the future.

A Steam Group
Head over to your steam profile and select Groups from the dropdown menu. You'll want to create a new group and use the following information. Please note, Steam does not let you change a group's name later - so make sure you don't have any typos before hitting enter. You'll need a steam group to track members, and be able to post announcements regarding upcoming events, trainings & activities that your Regiment hopes to participate in. It's a central hub of your group.

Group Name | Your Regiment's full name.
Abbreviation | For example, the "21st Regiment of Foot" may be the "21ROF".
Group Link | Again, I would recommend using the abbreviation you just created for this.
Public Group? | Do not check this. It will make roster management hell later down the line.

Ranks
Draw up an idea of what you want your ranking structure to look like. While I remind you again this is a video game, your ranks should have some kind of legitimate reflection to your Regiment and it's history - for example, using a French ranking structure (and the French language) for a British Regiment of Foot is probably not favorable for you. Below are the very basic ranks of each faction currently featured in the game - a quick google search will find anything else you need.

British Army Ranks
[close]
French Army Ranks
[close]
Prussian Army Ranks
[close]
In addition to this section, I highly recommend getting a small group of what will be your "High Command", leading a Regiment alone is well & good up to a certain number of members, then you may wish to consult additional trustworthy members on ideas, and have some help when it comes to the administration and management of the group.

Direction
In my personal opinion, there are three types of Regiment in Holdfast: Nations at War. While you don't have to brand yourself to one of these right now, keep in mind that your recruitment material and appeal will revolve around what type of Regiment you wish to be. Potential recruits may be looking for a specific type of group, so you should be ready and know what you're looking for in members.

Casual | A Regiment/Group that isn't big on history, more of a "gaming community" that wants to enjoy the game on a casual level of public servers & public linebattles.
Competitive | A Regiment/Group that intends to participate in leagues & tournaments in Holdfast: Nations at War. Usually lots of training/events to become "the best there is".
Realistic | A Regiment that dedicates themselves to the historical accuracies of the time period; through ranks, names, presentation and such.

SECTION II | NETWORKING & RECRUITMENT

Fantastic. You've got the basic logistics behind your Regiment down, and you're ready to start growing with the community. You should start working on how you want your recruitment campaign to look, and how you want to publicly present yourself to the rest of the Regimental community.

Let's talk about Networking
You're the new guy on the block, let's get some contacts. While you can search through the in-game Regimental tags and try and seek people through Steam to add and make yourself notable, there are already some established communities that can allow you to contact Regiments and members of the community too. The Official Holdfast Discord Server and the Unofficial Regimental Discord Server can immediately grant you a membership to the Holdfast community, and will allow you to begin to get your name out there. While some regiments will be more welcoming than others, you're sure to find some chaps who can help you on your way in the regimental community. Click either (or both) of the below images to connect to the Discord(s).

Let's talk about Recruitment
There are two primary ways to push your Regiment out there and seek members. Although other methods such as word of mouth, in-game leadership, social media and contacts may also help you with recruitment and community growth - below are the two primary methods of which current Regiments present themselves. Additionally, your Holdfast thread should be considered your Headquarters - the main page that displays everything there is to know about your group, it's direction and most importantly what you can offer to recruits.

1. IN-GAME TEXT ADVERTISEMENTS
You're welcome to post about your Regiment in any of the Official Servers of Holdfast. Please note, there is an attached rule to this privilege.
Quote from: Official Holdfast Ruleset
5. A regiment may advertise once per five minutes on server. This limit is counted by regiment and not by individual player, so having multiple members post advertisements sequentially within the five minute period is still considered spam. This applies to advertisements, both general and individual. This also includes messages for an entire group such as an army etc.  Other media such as YouTube channels, Twitch, accounts, Facebook pages and so on, are included in this rule.

An in-game advertisement is short, and should only include the fundamentals about your group, here are some things you should consider mentioning in your advertisement:

• Regiment Name
  • Steam Contact (this is a MUST!)
  • Regiment Motto (fighting to win? for fun? to chill?)

Some Regiments will include their current member count, total # of attended events, win/loss records, a "slogan" and other information that may be appealing to the public. You can usually find the in-game chatbox flooded with these recruitment messages, so again, feel free to take inspiration from active successful groups - but don't directly copy them as this will affect your reputation among the Regimental community.

2. DISCORD #regiment_recruitment CHANNEL
The #regiment_recruitment channel is used daily by Regiments to seek members through Discord. It's a channel on the Official Holdfast Discord and doesn't have a time limit, although of course spam is discouraged. You can make this post as fancy or simplistic as you like with emojis and graphics, but it is advised to attach some relevant links and/or media to your Discord post so people have more than a wall of text to look at. Consider including:

• Regiment Name
  • A brief description of what your Regiment is about
  • Steam Contact (this is a MUST!)
  • Screenshots or Videos of your Regiment
  • A link to your Regimental Discord (if you chose Discord over TS3.)

SECTION III | EVENTS & ACTIVITY

You're almost there. Everything is set up, you've got your roster set out, a clear method of communication and a central hub for your group. Now you get to enjoy the game, and enjoy the main reason why chaps form Regiments in the first place - events! Linebattles are of course the premier type of event in Holdfast: Nations at War, and by god they're enjoyable as all hell. If you're not sure what a linebattle is, go ahead and check this video out.

You can sign up to any linebattle you want, as long as you have some chaps to bring along. I'd personally recommend a minimum of 10 soldiers before signing up to any given linebattle as a Line Infantry Regiment. Once you can bolster your numbers a little, then you can start deploying an artillery crew and a skirmisher detachment. Here are some handy links to get involved in the linebattling community:

TOURNAMENTS & EVENTS PAGE
This page displays all active events that are seeking new Regiments. Have a browse and sign up to some events that are appropriate to your group timezone.

EU / NA EVENTS ROSTER
Courtesy of Blaze, you can find a list of active events divided by timezone on this thread. :)

In addition to the private events, you can also show off your Regimental moves to the public linebattles that occur through the week. These are events that are open to the public, but also give you a great chance to flaunt your tags in a public environment - and perhaps you will get lucky and acquire some new recruits in the process. Here is a full list of weekly public linebattles:

PUBLIC LINEBATTLES
Wednesday | RRCG Public Linebattle | 8pm BST / 3pm EST / 5am AEST (Thurs)
Thursday | 1st King's Royal Army Public Linebattle | 9pm BST / 4pm EST / 6am AEST (Fri)
Friday | Oceanic Public Linebattle | 11am BST / 6am EST / 8pm AEST
Saturday | Oceanic Public Linebattle | 11am BST / 6am EST / 8pm AEST
Saturday | 1st King's Royal Army Public Linebattle | 7pm BST / 2pm EST / 4am AEST (Sun)

THAT'S ALL, FOLKS!

All that is left is to stay active among the community, and most of all bloody enjoy your time with a group! Stay active in the game, and make yourself known as a friendly group of British redcoats of a fearsome force of French turncoats. You should enjoy your time with your Regiment, and have some really good fun in the linebattling and integrated community.

Feel free to ask for help on the Holdfast/Regiment Discord!

Feel free to ask about linebattles, ask about graphics, ask about ranks!

My point is, feel free to ask questions to established groups. Most regiments in this alpha game are looking for the game to develop, and by extent, are looking for the community to grow and develop too. Regiments will be happy to help out to a certain degree, so ask questions to the veterans to make your group the best it can be. Above all, have fun. This is a video game, and in the case of Holdfast: Nations at War - It's a lot more fun with friends. Have at it!

Written by Haybales

Sources
Linebattle
Holdfast Forums
Total War Center
Holdfast Discord & Regimental Discord

« Last Edit: August 24, 2018, 11:36:38 am by Refleax »

Offline Glofer4

• Regiment Leaders
  • Surgeon's Mate
Re: How to make a Holdfast: Nations at War Regiment [Guide]
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2018, 11:00:03 pm »
This is fantastic Haybales!  One thing to add is don't forget to ask your fellow regiment leaders for help!  We have helped provide Holdfast Servers, Teamspeaks, trainings and even guidance on leading in game.  If you have any questions feel free to add me on steam and ask away!

https://steamcommunity.com/id/glofer4
« Last Edit: August 23, 2018, 11:10:03 pm by Glofer4 »

Offline Wolfster

• Regiment Leaders
  • Midshipman's Mate
  • 44th Fus Edwin Parker
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2018, 09:31:47 am »
Yeah tbf there's nothing I would add or change... seems all pretty reasonable. We have needed one of these for a while. Good job

Full-Time Lettings Negotiator.

Offline Midnight

• Regiment Leaders
  • Master
  • Barely legal
  • Faction: Prussia
  • Nick: Midnight
Re: How to make a Holdfast: Nations At War Regiment [Guide]
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2018, 02:47:33 pm »
One of the many things that someone from FSE didn't bring over. I'm glad it finally got done by someone.
Manager of the Regimental Information account. Contact me if you wish to help with the project.
If you need to contact me, add me on Steam.

Online Haybales

• Regiment Leaders
  • Acting Lieutenant
  • Official Server Administrator
    • 1st King's Royal Army
  • Nick: Bailey
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2018, 07:17:12 pm »
Yeah tbf there's nothing I would add or change... seems all pretty reasonable. We have needed one of these for a while. Good job
Appreciate it, Wolfster!

One of the many things that someone from FSE didn't bring over. I'm glad it finally got done by someone.
FSE?  :o

Thanks Midnight.

This is fantastic Haybales!  One thing to add is don't forget to ask your fellow regiment leaders for help!  We have helped provide Holdfast Servers, Teamspeaks, trainings and even guidance on leading in game.  If you have any questions feel free to add me on steam and ask away!

https://steamcommunity.com/id/glofer4
Appreciate it Glofer. I did mention connections in the outro! :)

Offline Wolfster

• Regiment Leaders
  • Midshipman's Mate
  • 44th Fus Edwin Parker
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2018, 08:24:32 pm »
FSE is the forum we used for Napoleonic Wars

Full-Time Lettings Negotiator.

Offline Jack

• Regiment Leaders
  • Lieutenant
  • 33rd | Lt-Col | Jack Glenn
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2018, 09:43:05 pm »
Great guide!, I'm sure this will help many newer members joining the community and are looking for ways in how to effectively setup a regiment.

Offline Merchaun

• Regiment Leaders
  • Petty Officer
  • NANWL Head Admin | 49th Regiment of Foot Colonel
  • Faction: Neutral
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2018, 03:49:02 am »
Looks great! Good post, very helpful to those looking to start out in the regimental scene. The biggest emphasis I would have is make sure you pay attention to the members in your regiment, they're the backbone and what makes it great! Make sure everybody is having a good time to the best of your ability, and you'll see a lot of success.

Offline Austro

• Chaplain
  • Tournament Host
  • Nick: Austro
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2018, 12:03:16 am »
For your forum post http://www.holdfastgame.com/forum/index.php?topic=4616.0 i think including this link somewhere https://image.ibb.co/d88f3z/For_New_Regiments.png would be beneficial for people looking to start a new regiment
Risk's 3v3 Melee Tournament: 1st Place
Goober's 1v1 Melee Tournament: 1st Place

Offline Tuna

• Landsman
  • Member of 63ème Régiment d'Infanterie since 2013.
  • Faction: French Empire
  • Nick: Tuna
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2019, 10:36:43 am »
Awesome topic, good job Haybales and good luck to anyone making a new regiment!  ;D