Anvil Game Studios

Author Topic: The problem with #regiment_recruitment  (Read 2134 times)

Offline phillycheese

• Regiment Leaders
  • Petty Officer
  • Colonel of the 96th Regiment of Foot
  • Faction: British Empire
The problem with #regiment_recruitment
« on: October 08, 2018, 07:48:45 am »
We have reached levels of spam never thought possible.

In the Official Holdfast Discord lies a channel named #regiment_recruitment. This channel, in a perfect world, should be used for the sole purpose of regiment recruitment and helping others find a regiment that is right for them. In reality, it's home to spam, spam, and more spam. Huge walls of text that get copied, pasted, and sent in a continuous loop where regimental leaders try to get their message out last. A lot of people are guilty of this, including myself. In the past the spam was somewhat bearable but not anymore.

Here is the definition of spam in the Official Holdfast Discord:
"Spamming - Making unnecessary posts with no valuable content will be regarded as breaking the rules and moderated accordingly. We would also appreciate it if you edited a post rather than double posting, it’s easier to moderate. Keep the content interesting so everyone enjoys the read!"

--Notice how it says, "unnecessary posts". Does posting a recruitment message every hour (sometimes less) of every day sound necessary? Short answer: no it's annoying.
--Notice how it says, "We would also appreciate it if you edited a post rather than double posting." Double posting? I don't even think there is a numerical word for how many times a regiment posts the same recruitment message over and over per day.

Well phillycheese, how do we fix this?

Glad you asked this question because it is apparent nothing on the moderator / admin side is being done and the channel is a complete free for all. I have a few solutions.

Solution 1:
Moderator posts a message with all the discord links (of regiments that choose to participate) and locks the channel. This would cut back on spam because the channel would be locked. Also regiments that wish to have their discord included can message a moderator for it to be added to the list.

Solution 2:
Have each regiment come up with a nice paragraph or two, a nice graphic and a link to their discord. Have them post it in the channel, then lock it to avoid spam. If a regiment not listed would like to post, grant them permission to post then lock the channel again.

Solution 3:
Don't lock the channel, and make a rule for regiments to only post 1 message per regiment. Every other discord I am in that has clans does this. Downside: moderators would actually have to moderate spam, and there is a good chance people would cry that their regiment post isn't first. Since the channel wouldn't be locked, you may have the occasional conversation between a person looking to join and a recruiter from a regiment. These conversations (although rare in the channel) would certainly bury other regiment posts. A solution for this would be for a moderator to delete the conversation when it is over to clear the chat so that other recruitment messages aren't buried. 

These are just my personal opinions and I know that there are other people out there that want change. My solutions might not be perfect and if you don't like any of my solutions, PLEASE let's all come to a mutual agreement so that the recruitment channel isn't a toxic war zone. 

Offline TheProTaco

• Regiment Leaders
  • Midshipman's Mate
  • Nulli Secundus
  • Nick: [49th]Taco
Re: The problem with #regiment_recruitment
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2018, 07:56:08 am »
I've made most of my points in the channel proper so I'm just going to say this:

If it's spam, you can mute the channel/server. That's what most people do in Discord anyway.
If you don't want to compete with other regiments then don't, I doubt that there's any serious amount of recruitment actually coming from that channel's existence.
We could make a limitation where a regiment can only post one or two times a day like how in game you can't post an ad more than once every 5 minutes.

Click the signature to go to my Steam profile!

Offline Absol

• Master's Mate
  • Nick: 61e Absol
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2018, 05:52:01 pm »
This is a valid complaint, but what I think should also be brought to light is the fact that most regiment threads here are juat constant bumping, which kinda nullifies the rules about inactive regs and annoys me for some reason.

Online Haybales

• Regiment Leaders
  • Commander
  • Played Holdfast for a bit. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    • 1st King's Royal Army
  • Nick: Bailey
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2018, 04:04:19 am »
FINALLY someone talks about this.

Solution 1:
Moderator posts a message with all the discord links (of regiments that choose to participate) and locks the channel. This would cut back on spam because the channel would be locked. Also regiments that wish to have their discord included can message a moderator for it to be added to the list.

Solution 2:
Have each regiment come up with a nice paragraph or two, a nice graphic and a link to their discord. Have them post it in the channel, then lock it to avoid spam. If a regiment not listed would like to post, grant them permission to post then lock the channel again.

The problem with these is fairness. The Regiment at the top will have an immediate advantage (because they're first), and the most recent post will have an even bigger advantage because on Discord the most recent post is the first to be seen.

Alphabetical order could fix this, and I think would be the only fair way to catalog the groups.

EDIT: Putting every regiment on that list and actively keeping it up to date (over 50 links I'd imagine) would be insane.

Solution 3:
Don't lock the channel, and make a rule for regiments to only post 1 message per regiment. Every other discord I am in that has clans does this. Downside: moderators would actually have to moderate spam, and there is a good chance people would cry that their regiment post isn't first. Since the channel wouldn't be locked, you may have the occasional conversation between a person looking to join and a recruiter from a regiment. These conversations (although rare in the channel) would certainly bury other regiment posts. A solution for this would be for a moderator to delete the conversation when it is over to clear the chat so that other recruitment messages aren't buried. 

This is the best solution on this list - and honestly Discord admins (I'm one) don't have that much to do right now except delete toxic messages, so there's not much downside.

Women Doctor of the BlackFish and myself actually just formed a catalog of Regiments in alphabetical order, ordered by region (since that's the most popular "search filter") with a small paragraph as you previously suggested. It's available through the Regimental Discord which anyone can access. You can click the image to go there.

What we can all agree with - is that something has to change with that channel.

« Last Edit: October 09, 2018, 04:08:26 am by Haybales »

Offline Women Doctor

• Regiment Leaders
  • Surgeon's Mate
  • Faction: French Empire
  • Nick: Women Doctor
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2018, 01:01:47 am »
Make a static png of the first 3 pages of the following sheet https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1DYWsdS_pnIVsRuwwvrKnmEsVkgZcyZ_KZT6PyY-cZp4/edit#gid=0

And include a link to the The HoldFast Regimental discord above this static post so that the front page is for the top 48 regiments.

Offline Sev

• Petty Officer
  • Faction: Neutral
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2018, 10:24:01 pm »
Did you just refer to yourself in the third person my guy? Also good points.

Offline Czechu

• Master's Mate
  • Colonel, 12. Pułk Piechoty Xięstwa Warszawskiego
  • Faction: French Empire
  • Nick: [12pp] Czechu
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2019, 10:12:52 am »
Actually, the problem is not limited to discord. In my opinion, the "bumping spree" on the forum in "Crew and Regiments" should be controlled as well. But this is for another topic...

The solution nr 3 with additional "Regiment catalog" is enough to keep the channel clear.