Anvil Game Studios

Author Topic: U.S. Faction & Class Suggestion  (Read 1674 times)

Offline Sourkraut

• Master's Mate
  • CSgt. l 21st Co.A
  • Faction: Neutral
Re: U.S. Faction & Class Suggestion
« Reply #15 on: November 27, 2018, 01:19:50 am »
This suggestion is one that we won't see for, with as much as we need done with the game now, 1.5-2 years bare minimum. Austira and Russia are still not included, even then you'd need Rheinland and other various EUROPEAN countries directly involved with the war which was literally based on Napoleon taking over Europe. ya just gotta use logic here man.

He's not suggesting it be added over those countries though and btw our nation list is kinda screwed anyway because AGS wants to do it by poll which means we may be stuck with Ottomans this year if people vote for them the most.

I wish they just went down a list and did Austria, Russia, Spain, and then Rhinebund/Kingdom of Italy/Portugal.
I'd flip Austria and Prussia, but I'd have a poll to see which is first. Those should be both added before any other nation.
+1

Also Vetro keep it civil, Moon ain't no child lol.

Offline Jaque

• Ordinary Seaman
  • Nick: Commodore B
« Reply #16 on: December 31, 2018, 03:48:02 am »
I'm glad the Spanish look like the winners in the latest poll for next faction, better than my initial thought of Austria (it has all these colorful units but no navy to speak of during the NW), and they were both French and Coalition allies at different times.  Not to be chauvinistic or anything but there are a number of reasons an American faction might be high up in the pipeline:  1.  There seem to be a growing number of Yanks who are playing this game (NA?).  2.  The settings and some of the unit classes really would be very different from European (wilderness, wilderness, and more wilderness, but also Louisiana bayou, east coast estuaries like the Chesapeake Bay, Great Lakes, oh and did I mention wilderness?)  3.  But some of the most colorful unit classes weren't even mention by Sgt Moon's admirable list like frontiersmen, Native Americans (Indians, all diferent distinctive tribes), Cheasapeake flotilla men, and all flavors of militia from abysmally awful to well-dressed indistinguishable from regulars and good fighters.  4.  Some unique weapons would include the Pennsylvannia (or Kentucky, depending on where you're from) long rifle, and other types peculiar to the American frontier like tomahawks, warclubs, etc.

I once had a Brit at a tabletop miniatures con tell me he liked the American War (or "War of 1812" on this side of the Puddle) because it was "Napoleonics with Indians".  I would also echo all the other excellent points Moon has made on this topic as well.  Some things may not on a poll because most people aren't even aware of this conflict.  Many Americans still aren't, but to most Canadians it seems to be a source of pride and they are the biggest promoters of its history.  It was Canadian militia and loyalist regulars that did most of the fighting on the Brit side.  Just propose it and get the community to think outside the box on this one.

Offline [45th] 1Sgt. Moon

• Able Seaman
« Reply #17 on: December 31, 2018, 06:43:33 pm »
I'm glad the Spanish look like the winners in the latest poll for next faction, better than my initial thought of Austria (it has all these colorful units but no navy to speak of during the NW), and they were both French and Coalition allies at different times.  Not to be chauvinistic or anything but there are a number of reasons an American faction might be high up in the pipeline:  1.  There seem to be a growing number of Yanks who are playing this game (NA?).  2.  The settings and some of the unit classes really would be very different from European (wilderness, wilderness, and more wilderness, but also Louisiana bayou, east coast estuaries like the Chesapeake Bay, Great Lakes, oh and did I mention wilderness?)  3.  But some of the most colorful unit classes weren't even mention by Sgt Moon's admirable list like frontiersmen, Native Americans (Indians, all diferent distinctive tribes), Cheasapeake flotilla men, and all flavors of militia from abysmally awful to well-dressed indistinguishable from regulars and good fighters.  4.  Some unique weapons would include the Pennsylvannia (or Kentucky, depending on where you're from) long rifle, and other types peculiar to the American frontier like tomahawks, warclubs, etc.

I once had a Brit at a tabletop miniatures con tell me he liked the American War (or "War of 1812" on this side of the Puddle) because it was "Napoleonics with Indians".  I would also echo all the other excellent points Moon has made on this topic as well.  Some things may not on a poll because most people aren't even aware of this conflict.  Many Americans still aren't, but to most Canadians it seems to be a source of pride and they are the biggest promoters of its history.  It was Canadian militia and loyalist regulars that did most of the fighting on the Brit side.  Just propose it and get the community to think outside the box on this one.

Thank you for all of your great points! I wanted to include units like Native Americans (Choctaw on US side and Shawnee on the British side for example) or Militia as classes but I didn't want to make it too crazy of a suggestion. I'd love to see new British units (like the 100th Regiment of foot) and the Canadian militia as well. (But this would only work in US vs GB battles.) Also about the Chesapeake Flotilla men, I'll add them to my naval units list.

Spoiler
[close]

Offline Jaque

• Ordinary Seaman
« Reply #18 on: January 01, 2019, 05:22:14 am »
I forgot to mention bows, although primative, could be interesting and quite lethal with enough skill (Russian mounted Tartars as at Leipzig used them to the amusement of the French (called them "cupids")).  Speaking of which, do hit locations matter in the game?  Along the same lines hits seem too lethal (One shot, one kill?) and this would make the surgeon class less useful although I finally figured out how this works, but too ofter you're either dead or you're not from a shot/blow.

By the way, 1SgtMoon, are you part of a regiment (the 45th?) as I would like to join one as long as they're not complete Nazis.

• Able Seaman
« Reply #19 on: January 02, 2019, 01:45:51 am »
I forgot to mention bows, although primative, could be interesting and quite lethal with enough skill (Russian mounted Tartars as at Leipzig used them to the amusement of the French (called them "cupids")).  Speaking of which, do hit locations matter in the game?  Along the same lines hits seem too lethal (One shot, one kill?) and this would make the surgeon class less useful although I finally figured out how this works, but too ofter you're either dead or you're not from a shot/blow.

I believe at this point, most of the natives were supplied muskets by the British (which angered American farmers deeply). But a Native American class would be neat if they got a tomahawk or club to use as a melee weapon; Maybe they could also sprint.

Offline Jaque

• Ordinary Seaman
« Reply #20 on: January 02, 2019, 12:41:13 pm »
That's true about the bows, something I forgot..maybe as an auxillary weapon.  Is sprinting a thing?  Speaking of bows as an auxillary weapon and sprint movement, what about a stealth mode, where they're not visible, say unless they move, or move quickly, or an enemy is at a close range?  Could make Indians a very desirable character to play.

• Able Seaman
« Reply #21 on: January 02, 2019, 03:37:03 pm »
That's true about the bows, something I forgot..maybe as an auxillary weapon.  Is sprinting a thing?  Speaking of bows as an auxillary weapon and sprint movement, what about a stealth mode, where they're not visible, say unless they move, or move quickly, or an enemy is at a close range?  Could make Indians a very desirable character to play.

interesting thought, although there are quite a lot of bushes and trees to hide in.

Maybe an Indian's stats could be something like:

-Ability to sprint
-Can use tomahawk/club
-Slower musket reload/no bayonet

Spoiler
[close]

Offline NobleNerd

• Ordinary Seaman
« Reply #22 on: April 20, 2019, 07:04:36 pm »
It might be a good idea to prioritize adding factions like Austria, Russia, and the Ottomans first, but I absolutely want to see the War of 1812 depicted in Holdfast. Maybe they could even throw in a reference or two about Jean Lafitte and his role in the Battle of New Orleans.