Anvil Game Studios

Author Topic: Holdfast But War Of Rights  (Read 1243 times)

Offline MarcusTheDerp

• Ordinary Seaman
  • Faction: French Empire
  • Nick: Napoleon
Holdfast But War Of Rights
« on: June 03, 2019, 07:22:15 am »
Don't we all hate all the mic spammers and people that don't follow orders and trash talkers on the battlefield? How do we stop this and have the immersive battles that Holdfast is meant to show? Easy. Advertise it the way War Of Rights did it, people using Teamwork, actually listening to their Officers, and not acting like it's the call of duty fps like Holdfast is today. Now you might be thinking, "Hey, there are line battles in Holdfast", well yes, but you can only be in one if you are apart of a regiment and go to public events. Some of the people that go to these events don't even know that it's a line battle, and think that it's just another public server match. How about you actually encourage players to perform tactics that also include teamwork ? Add Formation Commands to the Line Officer Class, have trailers showcasing the kinds of tactics that should be encouraged highly, do whatever you can. I've always wanted a game like War Of Rights that is set in the Napoleonic Era, but that game is not Holdfast. Maybe it's just that the Holdfast Community is different. Holdfast is game different from War Of Rights, and I respect that. Maybe this is just me being me, a Line Warfare Lover.

(I'm pretty sure someone has already requested something like this, please tell me if I'm right or wrong.)

Offline MarcusTheDerp

• Ordinary Seaman
Re: Holdfast But War Of Rights
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2019, 07:22:32 am »
Oh no here comes the backlash

Offline Vallixx

• Landsman
  • Here to play the game. And play it right.
  • Faction: British Empire
  • Nick: Vallixx
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2019, 02:08:01 pm »
Partially agree.

Public servers are unimmersive, and a lot can be done to fix that. However, Haybales is right. If you really want immersion that bad, you should just join a regiment.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2019, 02:22:09 pm by Vallixx »

Offline Haybales

• Regiment Leaders
  • Commander
  • Played Holdfast for a bit. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    • 1st King's Royal Army
  • Nick: Bailey
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2019, 04:39:26 pm »
I'm a little confused by this suggestion.

It sounds like you bought the game based on it's current description, then were somewhat surprised it was more arcade based and not simulation based, and now want to amend the description to describe a game this isn't?

Let me assure you that any Officer with an inch of charisma can absolutely form a line or squad on any public server; it's been done thousands of times before and will be done thousands of times more. I absolutely agree that line combat isn't encouraged on the public Army Front servers; in fact you will find that the team that decides to form lines and such typically lose more, because they are grouped and easy targets - but the game doesn't pretend to be a MilSim.

It doesn't advertise as a MilSim.

I'm additionally confused by your apparent disregard for Regimental play. You've acknowledged you need to be in a regiment to get into the more organised events, so why don't you just join one?

You get to play with more people, with more organisation, and typically you'll get involved in a community you'll play other games with too.

The only people I've seen hate on regiments are people who've never been in one. If you want organised simulation linebattles - that's what the regimental community is for.

Quote from: MarcusTheDerp
Now you might be thinking, "Hey, there are line battles in Holdfast", well yes, but you can only be in one if you are apart of a regiment and go to public events.

Offline MarcusTheDerp

• Ordinary Seaman
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2019, 07:53:07 am »
I'm a little confused by this suggestion.

It sounds like you bought the game based on it's current description, then were somewhat surprised it was more arcade based and not simulation based, and now want to amend the description to describe a game this isn't?

Let me assure you that any Officer with an inch of charisma can absolutely form a line or squad on any public server; it's been done thousands of times before and will be done thousands of times more. I absolutely agree that line combat isn't encouraged on the public Army Front servers; in fact you will find that the team that decides to form lines and such typically lose more, because they are grouped and easy targets - but the game doesn't pretend to be a MilSim.

It doesn't advertise as a MilSim.

I'm additionally confused by your apparent disregard for Regimental play. You've acknowledged you need to be in a regiment to get into the more organised events, so why don't you just join one?

You get to play with more people, with more organisation, and typically you'll get involved in a community you'll play other games with too.

The only people I've seen hate on regiments are people who've never been in one. If you want organised simulation linebattles - that's what the regimental community is for.

Quote from: MarcusTheDerp
Now you might be thinking, "Hey, there are line battles in Holdfast", well yes, but you can only be in one if you are apart of a regiment and go to public events.

I'm saying that public servers should be immersive, and that you shouldn't be required to join a regiment if you want to have immersive gameplay with lines and all, my point is that the public servers should be like this. Kinda like War Of Rights, but Napoleonic War.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2019, 07:55:24 am by MarcusTheDerp »

Offline Marquis de Lafayette

• Server Administrator
  • Standing Officer
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2019, 11:33:53 am »
The beauty of public servers is that there’s very few restrictions when it comes to how the game is meant to be played. You’ve got everything from the lone wolf skirmisher to the carefree fifer roaming the battlefield – and yes, as Haybales mentioned: even the inspiring officer leading troops and forming lines. Trying to fit all of these people and their individual playstyles into the same mould is just unreasonable (and frankly quite self-absorbed).

I understand the want for more immersive and regulated gameplay, but you won’t find it on the army front / public servers. Luckily though, there exists a simple solution: play the organized public linebattles. And if you want even more linebattles than that (without joining a regiment for whatever reason): merc for a regiment – get involved with the community. It’s really not much more complicated than that. The various avenues of Holdfast gameplay are more than capable of catering to players' personal preferences, you just have to know where to look. I'd suggest joining the official discord if you haven't already.

Holdfast isn’t War Of Rights, and it never will be, but you seem to already know that as you’ve essentially answered your own question in the original post:

Maybe it's just that the Holdfast Community is different. Holdfast is game different from War Of Rights, and I respect that. Maybe this is just me being me, a Line Warfare Lover.

Offline Irregular Alcoholic

• Chaplain
  • Bamboleo!!!!Bamboleo!
  • Faction: Neutral
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2019, 01:22:19 pm »
yes yes we need napoleonic mod for War Of Rights [just imagine Docm models from holdfast in WoR] then after mod im think we need WoR:Napoleon DLC or single game
my reasons : WoR realy great for 1st person viev playing / great shooting . holdfast better and maded for 3rd perso wiew playing
but in this way WoR need better melee [blocks i mean] and horses [arty im think will be soon]

Offline Harper

• Global Moderator
  • Master's Mate
  • Nick: Epic Man
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2019, 12:21:31 am »
The mic spammers and memers are what make this game hilarious to play

Offline Sourkraut

• Master's Mate
  • CSgt. l 21st Co.A
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2019, 09:40:52 am »
looks like the new update is more or less going in this direction.

Offline Parker

• Landsman
  • Blackfish Militia
  • Nick: Parker
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2019, 12:39:34 am »
All matches I have played in I have observed at least 2-3 different lines actually doing it in public matches. It's there just go join in, nobody usually minds.

For the spammers. Just mute em.

"I am not afraid of an army of lions led by a sheep; I am afraid of an army of sheep led by a lion."

Offline Twaddle

• Standing Officer
  • Great Tree Clan Leader
  • Nick: [Tree] Twaddle
« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2019, 09:53:09 am »
I understand not liking mic-spammers. They are only funny in small doses periodically spread out throughout matches. If too many people are playing songs, or loud noises it can be a real turn off; we all know you can press "P" to mute, but it's frustrating when you're mid-combat and you have to hear that, and simply don't have time to firstly find their name, then search their name in the "P" area, then hit mute all while fending off multiple enemy's. I do not know how to go about resolving that honestly. It's just something we all have to get through.

Offline Rivet

• Midshipman's Mate
  • Nick: Rivet
« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2020, 11:17:10 am »
I've always wanted a game like War Of Rights that is set in the Napoleonic Era, but that game is not Holdfast. Maybe it's just that the Holdfast Community is different. Holdfast is game different from War Of Rights, and I respect that. Maybe this is just me being me, a Line Warfare Lover.

+1