Anvil Game Studios

Author Topic: Black Soldier Avatars  (Read 949 times)

Offline LTrotsky21

• Landsman
Black Soldier Avatars
« on: July 13, 2019, 10:14:58 pm »
As many of you probably know, black soldiers served in many British regiments throughout the Napoleonic wars, and were present at every major battle involving British troops from the Siege of Copenhagen to Waterloo. The history is quite interesting, in fact. But here's my question: Does Holdfast - Nations at War have the capacity to represent People of Color as Napoleonic troops?

Offline Edmonster

• Midshipman's Mate
  • Colonel of the 77th
  • Faction: British Empire
Re: Black Soldier Avatars
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2019, 03:29:26 am »
I think they definitely could, but there are some many other core gameplay mechanics that they need to implement before they can start added different character models.

Interested in joining the 77th for Post Scriptum or Holdfast?  Add me on steam: https://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198267889914/

Offline Sourkraut

• Master's Mate
  • CSgt. l 21st Co.A
  • Faction: Neutral
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2019, 08:01:56 am »
Anything new for characters is not a priority atm, however yes it'd work for France and Britain for both the land units, coastal, and naval. Loads of colonial examples, especially.

Check this out
https://www.napoleon-series.org/military/Despeche/Issue1/c_7thNeapolitanInfantry.html

Black and White reg from the Naplese army.

Offline Oxley

• Petty Officer
  • Captain in 77th (East Middlesex) Regiment of Foot
  • Faction: British Empire
  • Nick: Oxley
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2019, 02:18:56 am »
There is so much more that needs to be added to the game first like cavalry, horse artillery in terms of gameplay content, more factions such as Spain, Russia, Austria etc, overhaul of animations to allow for more accurate animations and character stations to reflect real life drill. They could vastly improve both client and server performance as well which would lead to much smoother and potentially expanded gameplay. Then they could go in and add different versions of uniforms for the factions in the game that add things such as rank insignia's on uniforms as well as maybe to customise uniforms to reflect different real world regiments via colour of facings for example. After that or around the same time they could think about doing what you ask as well as maybe re do character models or at least the faces on them because these ones look like badly drawn cartoon characters most of the time.

Offline Kebebza

• Landsman
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2019, 06:50:20 am »
I count the days waiting

Offline Cpt. Kike Catcher

• Landsman
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2019, 10:26:47 am »
 ::)

Offline Irregular Alcoholic

• Chaplain
  • Bamboleo!!!!Bamboleo!
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2019, 07:06:45 am »
yes absolutely agree!
this games just need this gentelmens immediately [zulu not use horses too - so all is perfect]

Offline LTrotsky21

• Landsman
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2019, 10:14:50 pm »
Well I see there's no shortage of disdain and ignorance of history among some here.

For those to whom it applies, you would do well to regard history as an exercise in not disappearing people in it.

https://blackpresence.co.uk/black-soldiers-in-the-british-army-john-ellis/

https://blog.liverpoolmuseums.org.uk/2015/10/forgotten-black-soldiers-fighting-battle-of-waterloo/

Offline Destraex

• Surgeon's Mate
« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2019, 12:53:56 am »
Interesting. But the numbers are so small according to your article that you may as well add women, french or Italian etc as well if we are talking about the European theatre.
I certainly remember the British navy had some variety because they picked up recruits everywhere they sailed. Probably including prisoners captured or perhaps when liberating slaves.
I think a good theatre to look at would be the Indian theatre for variety. Their would be a lot of native Indian troops in that theatre.

P.S. LTrotsky21 I think the Zulu is a hint that he wants a Zulu wars expansion. Not that he is ignorant.
"FORMATION mechanic that allows formation members to respawn back into them."