Anvil Game Studios

Author Topic: Melee suggestions/idea's, come share them here!  (Read 24200 times)

Offline Exodus

• Chaplain
  • Major Jackson - 1st Royal Victoria Regiment
  • Faction: British Empire
  • Nick: Louis Jackson
Re: Melee suggestions/idea's, come share them here!
« Reply #120 on: September 23, 2017, 03:23:58 pm »
Melee at the moment is simply a soam fest to see who can land two shots, blocking isn't even used as it's too slow.

It's like 10 seconds after stabbing that it actually stabs someone, like said above it happens even with 20-40 ping.

1stRVR was also testing hitboxes today, sometimes it would go right through a player and he would not die. When you stand next to someone you somehow shoot them evem if they're not in your reticle or view

Offline Paul

• Landsman
« Reply #121 on: September 23, 2017, 06:47:22 pm »
I just had the problem that I was standing really close of an enemy player and we were jsut spamming attacks. Somehow even if we looked at each other and even touched the hits just didn´t come it took about 10 seconds until an infantry man came and just shot the other player.

Please fix the hitboxes

Offline sillywilly1414

• Able Seaman
  • Faction: Neutral
  • Nick: SillyWilly
« Reply #122 on: September 23, 2017, 11:06:30 pm »
They're aware of the hitbox issue and are working on that. I think it was about a day before EA release me and some testers were showing Refleax the issue with shots hitting a player even if the shot should have been going over the shoulder. So they're definitely aware.

Offline r3xjm

• Ordinary Seaman
« Reply #123 on: September 24, 2017, 12:47:22 am »
Ok, after going back between this and NW I think I can see another reason blocking feels much slower, and why if you select the wrong block you cannot instantly correct it.

Here in holdfast, as soon as you release a block your character will instantly move his musket into the "neutral" no block position, meaning if you wish to quickly change block from an up to a down, side to other side etc, your character will take 3 steps to do this, Block 1 > Neutral > Block 2 causing a momentary delay between the two blocks. In NW however, when you release a block the character will hold it for a short amount of time, before going to the neutral stage, allowing rapid blocks with only two steps, ie Block 1 > Block 2 etc.

I am not sure as I have not really looked into it, but this may also effect tap blocking and feinting.

Offline Archer

• Able Seaman
  • 1st Royal Marines - Sergeant
  • Nick: Archer
« Reply #124 on: September 24, 2017, 10:47:05 am »
Ok, after going back between this and NW I think I can see another reason blocking feels much slower, and why if you select the wrong block you cannot instantly correct it.

Here in holdfast, as soon as you release a block your character will instantly move his musket into the "neutral" no block position, meaning if you wish to quickly change block from an up to a down, side to other side etc, your character will take 3 steps to do this, Block 1 > Neutral > Block 2 causing a momentary delay between the two blocks. In NW however, when you release a block the character will hold it for a short amount of time, before going to the neutral stage, allowing rapid blocks with only two steps, ie Block 1 > Block 2 etc.

I am not sure as I have not really looked into it, but this may also effect tap blocking and feinting.
I think if they want melee to become in any shape or form competative, they might as well remove it going back to neutral between blocks. Otherwise, that and the hitboxes totally ruin melee. It would be fun to have a game where you can have all of these other fun factors, and fun melee. Quicker blocking along with quicker feinting would make melee much smoother, and more effective, along with the fixing of hitboxes.

Offline Terethor

• Landsman
  • <[°_°]>
    • 2e Légers
« Reply #125 on: September 24, 2017, 12:12:30 pm »
Hey, could we please allow the melee attack direction to be inverted? Maybe with separate options for vertical and horizontal attacks, and horizontal and vertical parry? Like a lot of people I'm coming from NW and I've been used to the exact opposite directions in order to attack.

Offline Painmace

• Surgeon's Mate
  • 2nd Lieutenant in the 32nd Regiment of Foot
    • 32nd's Enlistment Page
  • Nick: Painmace
« Reply #126 on: September 24, 2017, 12:16:46 pm »
I think turning while moving with a melee attack is a weak point in the system.

Comparing it to NW you can do some really quick turns. It dosent have to be as fast but right now its to slow. You cant react to attacks.
You see the enemy coming out of the corner of your eye but you cant really turn when it matters.

Offline Lecourbe

• Regiment Leaders
  • Master's Mate
  • Par le fer quand le feu manque !
    • 61e Régiment
  • Faction: French Empire
  • Nick: [61e] Lecourbe
« Reply #127 on: September 24, 2017, 11:58:31 pm »
Hey, could we please allow the melee attack direction to be inverted? Maybe with separate options for vertical and horizontal attacks, and horizontal and vertical parry? Like a lot of people I'm coming from NW and I've been used to the exact opposite directions in order to attack.

Offline SK

• Master's Mate
« Reply #128 on: September 25, 2017, 12:53:34 am »
Yeah it's difficult - it appears different depending on what vid you watch speed wise.

btw - is this a chamber or something else? (at 3:29)
Spoiler
[close]
When the sparks fly it looks like they've released at same time but may be wrong.
Also yes, I can confirm this is a chamber.

It's not, it happens only when 2 people attack at the same time with the same stab. It only cancel both attacks, nothing more.

A chamber is a counter attack and on NW you don't do a chamber by throwing your stab at the same time but only when the stab almost hit you.

You're from the competitive community but you don't know what a chamber is ?  :-X

I've tested the game and it's clearly not a chamber.
I know very well what a chamber is, considering I am the one who recommended it be implemented into the game. A chamber is a parry, they just have different impacts on melee from NW to Holdfast.
Will they make the parry able to finish off an opponent like nw? instead of this non reward thingy.

Offline Gatts

• Purser
  • no one will provoke me with impunity
  • Nick: 4e | Lucas Noir
« Reply #129 on: September 25, 2017, 10:31:24 am »
Jump attack?

Offline Knightmare

• Chaplain
  • paki
  • Nick: S.Williamson
« Reply #130 on: September 25, 2017, 02:58:07 pm »
At this level,removing the delay of blocking and attacking is probably best,it will improve it vastly,also raise the bayonet's damage, and make it less robotic. Saves melee for now :)
Jump attack?
kys

Offline madbull

• Landsman
  • Salty semen
« Reply #131 on: September 26, 2017, 02:32:36 am »
These hitboxes give me cancer.

Offline ExoticFail

• Petty Officer
  • 92nd Sjt Harry Munro
  • Nick: ExoticFail
« Reply #132 on: September 27, 2017, 03:21:43 pm »
Heyho,

While playing I noticed some stuff, when you start reloading, sometimes u cant swap into melee mode, happend quite a lot actually.

Hitboxes are definetly improvable, but the main problem is the delay you have when you want to stab or block. The current way the melee works simply does not allow to go for blocking, since you are far better of spamming the enemy to death and whoever is more lucky wins. Dont get me wrong. I dont want the melee to be like NW, I played it a lot, so some kind of change would be awesome either way.

Probably not the channel for it, but none the less, Good Job on the shooting mechanics and the musicians!

I hope this will help in some kinda way.

Offline SnuggleBunny

• Landsman
« Reply #133 on: September 28, 2017, 12:52:45 am »
removed, wrong thread, my apologies
« Last Edit: September 28, 2017, 09:39:23 pm by SnuggleBunny »

Offline SK

• Master's Mate
« Reply #134 on: September 28, 2017, 06:02:25 pm »
Indeed, these are good suggestions, especially the reload and ballistics stuff. I don't think a 4 man arty crew would work though, probably too complicated for this sort of game. But I think a 2 man crew would be a good compromise between gameplay and realism. I also would like round shot to do less explosive damage, but maybe have it bounce further to make up for it.
  :o