Anvil Game Studios

Author Topic: Melee suggestions/idea's, come share them here!  (Read 23413 times)

Offline Getty

• Head Server Administrator
  • Midshipman's Mate
  • Faction: Prussia
Re: Melee suggestions/idea's, come share them here!
« Reply #45 on: September 18, 2017, 12:40:36 am »
Hey guys, there's a few melee improvements you haven't yet seen in the current build. I can tell you though that melee is a top priority for the developers, and they're working pretty closely with myself and some other members of the competitive community, melee has come a long way but it truly takes a lot of time and effort to build a really great melee system. As someone who played NW for 5+ years because of the melee its very important to me too, but I am confident it will be at a level people are satisfied with, just give it some time.

Offline Getty

• Midshipman's Mate
« Reply #46 on: September 18, 2017, 12:40:51 am »
Yeah it's difficult - it appears different depending on what vid you watch speed wise.

btw - is this a chamber or something else? (at 3:29)
Spoiler
[close]
When the sparks fly it looks like they've released at same time but may be wrong.
Also yes, I can confirm this is a chamber.

Offline Tiberias

• Surgeon's Mate
  • Yo
  • Faction: French Empire
« Reply #47 on: September 18, 2017, 12:57:04 am »
Yeah it's difficult - it appears different depending on what vid you watch speed wise.

Spoiler
[close]
When the sparks fly it looks like they've released at same time but may be wrong.

It's not, it happens only when 2 people attack at the same time with the same stab. It only cancel both attacks, nothing more.

A chamber is a counter attack and on NW you don't do a chamber by throwing your stab at the same time but only when the stab almost hit you.

You're from the competitive community but you don't know what a chamber is ?  :-X

I've tested the game and it's clearly not a chamber.

Offline Bluehawk

• Global Moderator
  • Midshipman
  • Что делать? Стоять и умирать!
« Reply #48 on: September 18, 2017, 01:03:25 am »
It's a "chamber" by virtue of blocking by attacking, but you're right that they're mechanically different and, in my opinion, the M&B chamber is far more useful and skillful than these accidental cancel-outs which help neither player.

Offline Getty

• Midshipman's Mate
« Reply #49 on: September 18, 2017, 01:21:12 am »

Spoiler
[close]

It's not, it happens only when 2 people attack at the same time with the same stab. It only cancel both attacks, nothing more.

A chamber is a counter attack and on NW you don't do a chamber by throwing your stab at the same time but only when the stab almost hit you.

You're from the competitive community but you don't know what a chamber is ?  :-X

I've tested the game and it's clearly not a chamber.
I know very well what a chamber is, considering I am the one who recommended it be implemented into the game. A chamber is a parry, they just have different impacts on melee from NW to Holdfast.

Offline BillTheButcher

• Able Seaman
  • ♛ The King Of NW
  • Faction: Neutral
« Reply #50 on: September 18, 2017, 01:45:21 am »
As NW's best meleer of all time  8), I must say the melee looks to be lacking from what I've seen. everything else looks great but melee mechanics should be the main focus and will keep players interested in the long run I think

Offline Getty

• Midshipman's Mate
« Reply #51 on: September 18, 2017, 01:50:33 am »
As NW's best meleer of all time  8), I must say the melee looks to be lacking from what I've seen. everything else looks great but melee mechanics should be the main focus and will keep players interested in the long run I think
I can tell you right now they're the main focus, and we're working on more depth/improvement to the system currently.

Offline BillTheButcher

• Able Seaman
  • ♛ The King Of NW
  • Faction: Neutral
« Reply #52 on: September 18, 2017, 02:02:30 am »
Probably be hard to implement in a multiplayer game with so many people on one server but a game called Exanima
has pretty cool melee...Kills are more satisfying than Warbands with the physics in this game

Adding more physics to the melee animations would be great but I have no clue how hard that is to do so yea

Offline Getty

• Midshipman's Mate
« Reply #53 on: September 18, 2017, 09:29:24 am »
Probably be hard to implement in a multiplayer game with so many people on one server but a game called Exanima
has pretty cool melee...Kills are more satisfying than Warbands with the physics in this game

Adding more physics to the melee animations would be great but I have no clue how hard that is to do so yea
Something like this would be incredibly hard to do unfortunately, although the rag dolls are pretty great currently.

Offline SK

• Master's Mate
  • SK, 92nd Edward MacKay
« Reply #54 on: September 18, 2017, 09:36:46 am »
and they're working pretty closely with myself and some other members of the competitive community,
Which members of the comp community?

Offline TooL69

• Surgeon's Mate
« Reply #55 on: September 18, 2017, 04:33:41 pm »
Hey guys, there's a few melee improvements you haven't yet seen in the current build. I can tell you though that melee is a top priority for the developers, and they're working pretty closely with myself and some other members of the competitive community, melee has come a long way but it truly takes a lot of time and effort to build a really great melee system. As someone who played NW for 5+ years because of the melee its very important to me too, but I am confident it will be at a level people are satisfied with, just give it some time.

Why a complex system of melee in the game about the era of overwhelming superiority of firearms?
The soldiers of that time did not even teach methods with bayonets and sabers. Hardly they knew how to parry blows. Although they did not need it, because with bayonets and sabers they were finishing off the runaway and wounded.

I think the developers make the mistake of making melee the main element of the battles.

Offline Frittentime

• Able Seaman
  • Faction: British Empire
« Reply #56 on: September 18, 2017, 04:41:09 pm »

Why a complex system of melee in the game about the era of overwhelming superiority of firearms?
The soldiers of that time did not even teach methods with bayonets and sabers. Hardly they knew how to parry blows. Although they did not need it, because with bayonets and sabers they were finishing off the runaway and wounded.

I think the developers make the mistake of making melee the main element of the battles.
i hope u arent serious with that post

Offline SK

• Master's Mate
  • SK, 92nd Edward MacKay
« Reply #57 on: September 18, 2017, 06:07:25 pm »

i hope u arent serious with that post
Fritten, get used to these posts they are all over holdfast.

Offline 17e l Pieter

• Ordinary Seaman
  • 17e_Col_Augusting_Friant
« Reply #58 on: September 18, 2017, 06:47:47 pm »
I will find the location of each person that says melee is not the main thing they should focus on !!!!!

Offline Saga

• Regiment Leaders
  • Commodore
  • Bite my shiny metal ass.
    • 4th Regiment of Foot
  • Faction: British Empire
  • Nick: Henry Evans
« Reply #59 on: September 18, 2017, 06:58:06 pm »
I will find the location of each person that says melee is not the main thing they should focus on !!!!!
and send them back to WoR  ;)