Anvil Game Studios

Author Topic: Melee suggestions/idea's, come share them here!  (Read 25718 times)

Offline VetroG

• Commander
  • Faction: Neutral
Re: Melee suggestions/idea's, come share them here!
« Reply #180 on: November 14, 2018, 04:34:25 am »
From the 20 minutes I spent testing out the melee recently since I've barely played at all since my old regiment disbanded it wasn't the best but kind of better than it was in 2017. If I were you I'd definitely add kicks later on but as of right now you should focus on the blocking and attacking features. The attack and blocking is very slow and feels like a slingshot as soon as you click right or left the stab or block should automatically kick in it's just far too slow. Feinting is another step I'd like to see be increased in speed kind of like NW in a way. The swing stabbing is way too overpowered as you literally retarded you could hit anything. Anyways this is just some of my feed back! Hope it helps.

If you'd like more feedback about some melee suggestions I'd contact one of these people (Most of them NW Veterans).

NickCole
MATT
VetroG
Godfreid
Wastee
RussianFury
Havoc
Yoshie
« Last Edit: November 14, 2018, 04:37:56 am by VetroG »

Offline Wolfster

• Regiment Leaders
  • Midshipman's Mate
  • 44th Maj Edwin Parker
  • Faction: British Empire
« Reply #181 on: November 14, 2018, 09:06:46 am »
Spoiler
[close]
Surely EU players would be best to contact as EU melee is confirmed best  ::) ::)

Full-Time Senior Estate Agent.

Offline Starblazer

• Regiment Leaders
  • Midshipman
  • NWL Head Admin. Join the 63e!
    • 63e Regiment
  • Faction: French Empire
  • Nick: 63e_SgtMaj_Star
« Reply #182 on: November 14, 2018, 10:53:56 pm »
NickCole
MATT
VetroG
Godfreid
Wastee
RussianFury
Havoc
Yoshie
To be fair I think the heaviest considered suggestions should come from people that actually play the game.

I agree with Vetro about some feint speed stuff though. Could be a faster system overall, although the current system really isn't too bad, but players tend to sort of stalemate since the main components of duels are now footwork, feints, & attacks/blocks without any extra system of kicks or chambers.
Not in a regiment? Join ours today at join63e.com
Or join our Discord | https://discord.gg/sZbtEA6

We have over 7 years (Yes, 7 years of linebattles/events/tournaments/trainings on a daily basis) of experience!  We have both NA and EU communities, we play Holdfast, NW as well as various other games. We attend and host linebattles, siege events, naval events, and trainings! Enlist today!

Offline VetroG

• Commander
« Reply #183 on: November 15, 2018, 03:39:25 pm »
NickCole
MATT
VetroG
Godfreid
Wastee
RussianFury
Havoc
Yoshie
To be fair I think the heaviest considered suggestions should come from people that actually play the game.

I agree with Vetro about some feint speed stuff though. Could be a faster system overall, although the current system really isn't too bad, but players tend to sort of stalemate since the main components of duels are now footwork, feints, & attacks/blocks without any extra system of kicks or chambers.
Yeah of course. I think they should also make it where you S Key it's like a little sprint back wards not walking pace.

Surely EU players would be best to contact as EU melee is confirmed best  ::) ::)
Got me there Wolfster  :-[

Offline Spirit Baker

• Ordinary Seaman
« Reply #184 on: January 16, 2019, 05:23:27 pm »
I haven't played Holdfast for year, and I honestly don't feel any changes in melee.

Melee still feels incredibly unresponsive, speed of the swings and delay after button release is so awkward. When you add up stiff animation, melee just doesn't feel visually rewarding. And on top of that it's not fun to learn and master.   

Offline Tuna

• Landsman
  • Member of 63ème Régiment d'Infanterie since 2013.
  • Nick: Tuna
« Reply #185 on: January 16, 2019, 07:57:34 pm »
Well tbh I think every part of NW melee was good (even the pokes and glances), all those stuff made the game so playable, interesting and fun, I don't think it should be too realistic. Also very important part of game is that we can distinguish levels of melee that players have, I believe that most of us from NW have the same thoughts about that part. :)

Offline Irregular Alcoholic

• Chaplain
  • Bamboleo!!!!Bamboleo!
« Reply #186 on: January 17, 2019, 02:52:03 pm »
I haven't played Holdfast for year, and I honestly don't feel any changes in melee.

Melee still feels incredibly unresponsive, speed of the swings and delay after button release is so awkward. When you add up stiff animation, melee just doesn't feel visually rewarding. And on top of that it's not fun to learn and master.

+1

Offline Fartknocker

• Ordinary Seaman
« Reply #187 on: January 18, 2019, 06:23:27 am »

+1

Offline Sinjide

• Midshipman's Mate
  • Nick: Sinjide
« Reply #188 on: January 18, 2019, 01:41:43 pm »

+1

Offline Silver

• Regiment Leaders
  • Chaplain
  • 19te Obergefreiter
    • 19te Website
  • Faction: Prussia
  • Nick: 19te_Ofr_Silver
« Reply #189 on: January 19, 2019, 12:16:57 pm »
Well tbh I think every part of NW melee was good (even the pokes and glances), all those stuff made the game so playable, interesting and fun, I don't think it should be too realistic. Also very important part of game is that we can distinguish levels of melee that players have, I believe that most of us from NW have the same thoughts about that part. :)
+1
Spinning to win since 2011

Offline Elkjær

• Master's Mate
  • Nick: Elkjaer
« Reply #190 on: March 26, 2019, 07:39:28 am »
I know several people that simply won't play or buy Holdfast because of the bad melee system. It's a shame that many players stay away from the game because of that.
And +1 Spirit Baker and Tuna.

Offline Irregular Alcoholic

• Chaplain
  • Bamboleo!!!!Bamboleo!
« Reply #191 on: March 26, 2019, 08:50:05 pm »
I know several people that simply won't play or buy Holdfast because of the bad melee system. It's a shame that many players stay away from the game because of that.
And +1 Spirit Baker and Tuna.

my opinion: " Holdfast melee system better then Holdfast firenig/aiming system"

Offline J. Campbell

• Surgeon's Mate
  • Officer Cadet- 104th Regiment of Foot
    • 104th Regiment of Foot!
  • Nick: John Campbell
« Reply #192 on: March 27, 2019, 05:44:03 pm »
I think that most regimental leaders would like to see melee fixed before you move onto other objectives. I don't know if we're being ignored, you don't care, or you don't know how... It'd be nice to know what the issue is with just fixing the melee. Is it too hard, is it not in your interest. Just curios.

Offline Austro

• Chaplain
  • #1 Melee NA
  • Nick: Austro
« Reply #193 on: March 29, 2019, 04:06:01 pm »
I think that most regimental leaders would like to see melee fixed before you move onto other objectives. I don't know if we're being ignored, you don't care, or you don't know how... It'd be nice to know what the issue is with just fixing the melee. Is it too hard, is it not in your interest. Just curios.

Hello.

There was 2 Melee Updates in 2018 and a Performance Update earlier this year I believe. All of these have been prerequisites to the next update which will have an impact on melee, as well as other things that is set to get into beta soon (hopefully)

AGS is not branding this update as exclusively a "Melee Update." Rather, a "Mechanic Improvement." Which will be a general improvement across the board on things such as player collisions, which are crucial for melee combat, but also other aspects of the game.

Little is known about the specifics of this update currently, but I'm glad that AGS is prioritizing it, as it's badly needed. 
Risk's 3v3 Melee Tournament: 1st Place
Goober's 1v1 Melee Tournament: 1st Place
#1 Melee Arena Grenadier, Officer, Light Infantry, Guard as of Sept 19th 2019